Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM

Default 6 Max vs. 10 Max

I've heard that 6 max is more profitable than 10 max on Party, but also has more variance. Has that been your experience?

I find that I can only play one or two tables at 6 max, whereas I usually play three or four at 10 max. This means I get less rakeback at 6 max. How much of a factor should this be in deciding whether to stay at 10 max?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 6 Max vs. 10 Max

I play 6-max exclusively. If you're a winning player at full-ring, you'll be one at 6-max. You just get to play more hands. I like to play a slightly loose game, so that suits me just fine.

I wouldn't say the players are less or more skilled, they're mostly just bad. The thing I like about the shorthanded tables is that you can put A LOT more pressure on your opponents, it's so easy to make them think you're out to get them so that they start playing back at you with total garbage. Again, I haven't played much full-ring at no-limit, but that's the impression I get. I dunno about rakeback, but if you find the 6-max games more profitable, who cares about a decrease in monthly payments? Anyway, you're likely to get more rakeback since you'll be playing more hands.

My suggestion is that when you play, open up 2 full-ring tables and one 6-max. Go out and explore the tables, see how you like 'em. Variance Shmariance. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] If you win full-ring, you'll win at 6-max.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that 6 max is more profitable than 10 max on Party, but also has more variance. Has that been your experience?

I find that I can only play one or two tables at 6 max, whereas I usually play three or four at 10 max. This means I get less rakeback at 6 max. How much of a factor should this be in deciding whether to stay at 10 max?

[/ QUOTE ]

foremostly, it doesn't necessarily mean less rakeback, you play more hands. also, you can still play one or two additional tables at 10max as you are making less plays at opponents.

its far easier to justify stacking a fish in 6-max when you have a strong hand. suckouts also happen. all things considered you'll become a better player playing 6-max. Just remember bankroll, those swings come & Go.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM

Oh, and I dunno if this is the case with the 10-handed tables, but I just LOVE the auto-pot button on 6-max. I dunno what it is about instant pot-size bets that make opponents think "bluff", but it does.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:13 PM

This is a very good question that I was curious about. Would you get more rakeback 2 tabling 6 max vs 4 tabling full table? I like the idea of playing 2 full ring tables and one 6 max.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:16 PM

You get a lot of this at 6-max:

Villain open raises to $3 on button. I call in SB with 45[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, villain bets $3, I checkraise to $9. Villain calls.

Turn is a rag which is checked through. River pairs the 2. I check, he bets $15 I call and MHIG against his JQo.

Basically, people bluff a lot more. And raise with less good hands. You have to be able to go with reads and less autopilot. That said, you're decent hands generally paid off when someone else holds something decent.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:36 PM

You asked a question regarding variance, and yes, you might face some downsings that you're not used to dealing with. But once you accept these as "just part of the game," and grow accustomed to them, if you're a good player, you can kill the 6 max tables. I find them to be extremely profitable. Also, similar to you, I play 2 tables b/c all of my decisions are player dependent. Actually, if you're just starting out at 6 max, I think it's a good idea to try playing one table for like a week so that you can get a good feel for it.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You asked a question regarding variance, and yes, you might face some downsings that you're not used to dealing with. But once you accept these as "just part of the game," and grow accustomed to them, if you're a good player, you can kill the 6 max tables. I find them to be extremely profitable. Also, similar to you, I play 2 tables b/c all of my decisions are player dependent. Actually, if you're just starting out at 6 max, I think it's a good idea to try playing one table for like a week so that you can get a good feel for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good advice.