Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Interesting hand observed at the Foxwoods $5-$5NL

I was in MP3 for this hand.

Both of these players have about $1,600 or so, maybe a little more.

MP1 raises to $40, MP2 reraises to $120, folds back to MP1 who makes it $500, MP2 calls

Flop ~$1K - Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP1 bets $500, MP2 coffee houses for a while and calls

Turns ~$2K - J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP1 pushes for about $600 or so, MP2 goes into the tank, paces around for a bit, time gets called, MP2 folds showing red KK.

MP1 flips over black KK as he drags the pot.

I thought that this hand was interesting when looked at from both players' perspectives. I'm not a fan of MP1's 3rd bet preflop, but these guys were pretty deep and the game was somewhat loose. Still, it let MP2 put him on AA/KK with an outside chance of QQ, maybe JJ. On the flop, MP2 is losing to 3 and splitting with the other. He does have the heart draw, but could be drawing near dead to A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Ax. Should this have been a fold on the flop for MP2?

From MP1's perspective, MP2's preflop call of the 3rd bet really doesn't tell him anything except perhaps that MP2 thinks he has the best hand since it would be a bad call for implied odds at that point. I think his flop bet was pretty weak, probably because he was worried about being behind AA/QQ/JJ. If MP2 had thought about it, pushing the flop probably would have been a pretty good play. Was there any other way for MP1 to play this hand on the flop?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Interesting hand observed at the Foxwoods $5-$5NL

Wow, I think they both played just about every street as poorly as possible. Only bets I like in that whole thing are the initial MP1 raise and the re-raise by MP2 preflop.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 AM

Why would MP2 call the flop bet of $500, and then fold to the turn bet of another $600? Isn't that a mistake. The J on the turn did not change anything. Should of he put MP1 allin on the flop if he was going to play the hand after the flop?

If he put MP1 on a possible QQ or JJ hand, maybe he thought he had 11 outs going into the turn, and thought he has justified in calling the $500 flop bet from MP1, when the J hit the turn he thought he was down to two outs, or possibly dead, so he folded. I guess that could be reason to call on the flop, but fold the turn, is there any correct thinking to that?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:02 AM

The foxwoods game is generally full of donks, ecpecially the ones sitting with 1k-3k in front of em.