Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Can you sell your ticket to the WSOP?

1) There is no magical "ticket" that you are mailed when you qualify for satellites on-line. They pay for your seat in your name and there is nothing for you to sell or transfer.

2) I think it's safe to say that when you show your ID to prove you are the owner of the seat that they check your age. I doubt they want to jeopardize their license by something so stupid.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would give you a good rep in the poker world when you hit 21 though.It would still be worth it to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? "Winning" the WSOP and being unable to claim the prize money or bracelet would be unimaginably devastating. They'd most likely make the second-place finisher the default champion anyway, or pretend that the World Series never happened that year (a la the way college sports violators- like UMass in the mid-90's- have their tournament success "erased" and all banners removed).
Old 04-27-2005, 05:30 PM

I disagree.First off, why wouldn't you get to keep the bracelet?(assuming we live in a world where somehow you could make it all the way to the final table without bieng detected for underageness-something i think is almost impossible but not totally(you might not get caught until the tourny is over if you are very sneaky/lucky.)Second you would still be a phenom.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant do they ID you liketo see if you are the person who has the ticket or do they even care as long as you have one?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just posted today on the pokerstars website. It seems to apply to some of your questions:

Wednesday, April 27, 2005
WSOP identification requirements: A conversation with Lee Jones

I wouldn't subject most people to the conversations I have via IM every day, but an issue has come up that PokerStars players will want to be aware of. If you're one of the thousands of people vying for a World Series of Poker seat, you need to be sure the name you have registered with PokerStars is the same name as is on your drivers license or passport. It may sound sort of obvious, but there are people who play on shared accounts.

Rather than try to fancy up the contents of a conversation I had with Poker Room Manager Lee Jones today, I thought I'd just post it here (with Lee's permission, of course).

Brad Willis says:
Lee, I had somebody ask me about what kind of ID they need to play in the WSOP. You know anything?

LeeJ says:
Hi Brad - yes, all of our players will have to produce government identification (driver's license or passport) at the WSOP to be seated.

LeeJ says:
But there's more...

LeeJ says:
When a player wins a WSOP satellite at PokerStars, we use the name on their account to register them with the WSOP.

LeeJ says:
It is *EXTREMELY* important that the name on the account matches the name on the driver's license.

LeeJ says:
If it doesn't, that person won't be playing in the WSOP

LeeJ says:
Furthermore, we will NOT be able to change the registered name once we send it to Harrahs' staff at the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
Wow, that could cause a problem if, say, a guy was playing under his dad's registered name.

LeeJ says:
Right. This is exactly what we don't want to happen. Please tell your readers: if you win a seat in a WSOP satellite at PokerStars and the name on your account is not your name, you need to contact security@pokerstars.com immediately and get the problem straightened out.

LeeJ says:
If you wait until you get to the Rio, you won't be playing in the WSOP.

Brad Willis says:
So, you're saying if it has happened already, they can get it worked out, but it has to be worked out NOW.

LeeJ says:
We can usually work out something at this point. We have NO HOPE of working something out in Las Vegas.

Brad Willis says:
I suppose we should also let folks know that if they are playing in a qualifier, they should be doing it on their own account so they don't run into this problem.

LeeJ says:
That's an extremely good point - thank you for bringing it up. If you and your husband both play on an account, please contact support@pokerstars.com and arrange to get a second account. We're happy to do that, but we need each person to have his or her own account.

Brad Willis says:
Great. Anything else you can think of that people should know about this?

LeeJ says:
I think that's it - thank you for the chance to get this information out. We don't want any problems for anybody at the WSOP - we want them to concentrate on playing poker!

Brad Willis says:
I hear that. Thanks Lee. I'll let everybody know tonight.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:16 PM

*checks driver's license*

Yup, even though I go by my middle name and my middle name is registered on stars, pp, UB...etc...my FULL middle name also appears on my D/L.

It still makes no sense that we can't sell or transfer our WSOP "ticket" though. Like I said before, I'd sell that thing in a heartbeat for 8K.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:58 PM

I got it everyone! If you don't want the WSOP seat, or arent 21, dont play for it!!!!!!! Wow, I know that is outside the box, but still, it could work right?
~Justin