Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Hand against maniac

Prima 5/10 with 2.5/5 blinds.
My concerns are mainly preflop.

I'm SB and everybody folds to UTG (67/32/4) who is a maniac. He'll bluffraise the river with K-hi or cap all streets with 3rd pair.

Anyways, BB is a loose, bad player, who I saw playing very aggressively against the maniac though (check-raising 3rd pair on turn, etc.)

Anyways, I decide to call $7.5 on the SB with JTo
BB folds

Board is KJQ55 rainbow, and I check-call all the way.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Hand against maniac

Preflop is close I think. If this goes 3-way, you have around 31% equity if button is raising his top 50%, and BB is calling his top 60%. If it goes heads up, you have 45%, which is kinda hard to come back from, especially out of position, but if he is as bad as you say he is, I think it is possible.

On the flop you have enormous equity, I would either bet-3bet or check-raise. After that, a call down is needed UI.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everybody folds to UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm

I'd fold preflop usually but if the guy is that bad I don't think it's too bad and calling is better than 3betting. Postflop I'd play the same way. If he's bad enough to call you down with any pocket pair and ace high the flop is probably close to a checkraise for value and to prevent him checking the river with one of those hands. You're obviously gonna be putting 3 in on the flop a lot though and you can't fold. If his range is big your equity is probably pretty decent if you're behind. I'd prob still check/call all the way to keep him bluffing with 57s.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 PM

I played passivily because I can't protect my hand and I don't even need to. I thought I can be easily behind.
I didn't know too much about his PFR tendencies. Some maniacs like to raise every sooted hand, others prefer every Ax, Kx, Qx hand.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prob still check/call all the way to keep him bluffing with 57s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 57s is bluffing here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I do agree with letting him bluff though. However on the flop our equity is so huge that I think we should pump, but maybe let him be the final agressor. That would mean check raise and let him 3-bet, rather then bet-3bet.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:26 PM

I guarentee you that if villain raised with 57s preflop (not that unlikely) he's bluffing at least 2 streets and probably all 3.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:06 AM

Maniacs give great implied odds, so in this situation, JTo isnt that bad really.

You likely want to cap the flop with your pair + strong draw. After that, evaluate each street as it comes in. Getting 1 (or 3, heh) bets in each one depending on if you improve and how absolutely crazy this guy can go with air (ie ace-rag high), an oesd, a loww pp, or random-trash.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guarentee you that if villain raised with 57s preflop (not that unlikely) he's bluffing at least 2 streets and probably all 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty hard to be bluffing with trips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].