Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM

Default AA rockets in a tourney (loose table) 2nd hour rebuys PS

I'm gonna keep this pretty vague since the details dont really matter I'm just looking for a yeah you played the hand correctly or no you didnt (and this is why)

2nd hour 10+ rebuys on stars / I have 30K in chips w/ (well above average /
I'm in seat 3 and get dealt AA flat limp b/c there were aggressive players behind me so I was about 80% sure one of them would raise / I flat call the blinds and bingo a guy (who also had 30K in chips) that had been playing over aggressive w/ mediocore holdings raised the pot and made it 4K to go [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ( blinds were 150-300 at the time i think)
folds back around to me w/ my AA
no one behind me to act I have the player isolated in the hand so
my thinking is see the flop /
hope he cathces a piece and
take him for his chips
IF ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE HAND I WOULD HAVE RERAISED
so the flop comes Q,10,X
I'm first to act and have a pretty good feeling hes on a Q
i push all in and he calls and shows Q,Jo

needless to say Turn K river 9 for him to take the pot and boost him up into the top 20 in the tourney.

But was my thinking faulty anywhere along this hand? Should I have reraised him pre-flop. I'm pretty sure he wouldnt have gotten all his chips in the middle with QJo preflop
Is this the right play in this phase of the tourney or should I just be happy w/ whats in the pot re raise all in watch him fold and be glad that I didnt have to risk all my chips.
You know there are alot of bad online players who are willing to risk all there chips w/ mediocore hold such as
K10o and QJo
but how can you beat them over a course of a tourney when there ready to gamble with 60/40's and 70/30's
sure your gonna win the majority of them (which since like 50/50 at most)but you have to dodge so many of them to even have a shot to win one of these tournaments with excessively large fields it really feels like your almost playing the lottery ...
but anyway was i right?
what would you have done?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: AA rockets in a tourney (loose table) 2nd hour rebuys PS

wait you limp, he raises to 4k and you call, and then you push 26k first to act into the 8k pot?

Thats horrible [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 PM

You got him to raise behind you, which is exactly what you wanted. Push or re-raise big preflop. If he's overagressive maybe he'll come along with jacks or queens.

You're pushing that flop anyways, and the outcome is the same from there out. - the results make this just another bad beat post...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 PM

as bad as i hate to say it i just had a strong feeling the guy was on a AQ KQ QJ or Q10 thats why i played the hand like i did. but thats beside the point.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 PM

yea frankly...there are a lot of things to consider here. He raises to 4k into a 475 chip or so after you limp with aces. After it folds to you, just calling here is so weak. First of all, to call that raise, there's a very small variety of hands he can put you on, probably a range of As-10s,AKo,AKs-AQs...possibly a few other but doubtful if you're a tight player at that aggressive table. The least you can do is min raise there. The 4k is a decent percentage of your stack and there's no way you shouldn't make a raise to at least 10-12k. Also when the board hits 10 Q x making an assumption based on a feeling is poor. Pushing into a flop like that is poor. Check to him, when he bets and you check raise and he calls, you can have that feeling that he has a Q. etc.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna keep this pretty vague since the details dont really matter I'm just looking for a yeah you played the hand correctly or no you didnt (and this is why)

I'm in seat 3 and get dealt AA flat limp b/c there were aggressive players behind me so I was about 80% sure one of them would raise / I flat call the blinds and bingo a guy (who also had 30K in chips) that had been playing over aggressive w/ mediocore holdings raised the pot and made it 4K to go [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ( blinds were 150-300 at the time i think)
take him for his chips
so the flop comes Q,10,X

needless to say Turn K river 9 for him to take the pot and boost him up into the top 20 in the tourney.

But was my thinking faulty anywhere along this hand? Should I have reraised him pre-flop. I'm pretty sure he wouldnt have gotten all his chips in the middle with QJo preflop
Is this the right play in this phase of the tourney or should I just be happy w/ whats in the pot re raise all in watch him fold and be glad that I didnt have to risk all my chips.
You know there are alot of bad online players who are willing to risk all there chips w/ mediocore hold such as
K10o and QJo
but how can you beat them over a course of a tourney when there ready to gamble with 60/40's and 70/30's
sure your gonna win the majority of them (which since like 50/50 at most)but you have to dodge so many of them to even have a shot to win one of these tournaments with excessively large fields it really feels like your almost playing the lottery ...

but anyway was i right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wonder, between these doubleups, with 50-50 to 90-10 situations, do you waste half your stack to risk all-in for a doubleup again? Or do you have a higher than avg stack when hitting these, so that you can take a hit, or multiple hits and still be in the run?

If you put up an avg 100$ in each 45kg 10R at stars, you only have to chop top 3 like 1/80 and bust out the rest to show a small profit. If you add 1/20 ITM, and so on, you will see you don't need to win EVERY TIME you play.

Accept the fact that you will probably NOT win any money when entering a tourney, but you will have a positive expectation if you are a winning player.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

take him for his chips
so the flop comes Q,10,X

K10o and QJo
but anyway was i right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep seeing this line with AA and I think it's ridiculous. Smooth call preflop and overpush any flop? What? Why? How is that the best play? What if the flop comes three to a suit that isn't yours? What if the flop has a high board pair or is something like KQJ or QJT?

When he makes the huge overbet preflop, go ahead and hit him back! Why fool around? Go ahead and make it 12k or even push. If he's willing to make such a massive overbet, find out how willing he is to defend it.
And what do you mean you have a "pretty good feeling he's on a Q"? How do you determine this? Magic? He hasn't even acted yet, so how would you know? When you say you have a "pretty good feeling" what you mean is "I hope he has top pair so I can stack him".
It's all topped off with the bad beat aspect, like you wouldn't even be questioning your line if villain hadn't made a runner-runner straight.
If you're tired of bad beats, start LAGging it up more so you have more chips to survive them. Or just don't play tournaments.
If you're wondering what went wrong with this hand, well, you butchered both streets you played, managed to get it all in as a nice favorite anyway, then get sucked out on. It happens, but you really misplayed this hand.

Here's my line:
If-- IF-- I limp because I think there's an aggro behind me who will raise, and then he raises me to 4K, I'm coming back hard, like 10k on top. THEN I'm pushing any flop if it comes to that.
4k is a f@$#ton of money right now. Be happy if you just take it.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Getting scalded and i deserve it.