Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Default The World vs. The United States

Not really, but has there ever been this much hatred towards the U.S before? Not only over questionable issues such as the Iraq War or the misuse of the Qu'ran, but also with small issues such as the Tampa Bay Bucs owner buying Manchester United. It seems globaly the United States has way more enemies than friends. I've had friends that went to France and couldnt eat in one restaraunt because they were from the U.S. They had to start telling people they were from Canada. I'm interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this, and if anyone believes there was a time in the past when the United States has been in worse relations globaly.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: The World vs. The United States

Well, I wouldn't be to concerned about what someone in France thinks. The obviously is a bad view of American and I'd have to admit that we do not work hard at all times to improve it. Alot has to do with being the top-dog. How many Generals, CEO, Prime Minister, ect in history are talked highly about by the rank and file? Jealousy has a lot to do with this situation.

What major country is popular worldwide? China= no, France= no, Russia= no, Germany= no. It's just that we havn't had to save their asses in a while so they forget the positive sides of America. I hope when/if the time comes when were at war, or in financial crisis the world will respond like we have more than any other.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They had to start telling people they were from Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come I'm not surprised? Yet Canada sux, right?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 PM

Haha. I have nothing against Canada. If it was south of the United States I would probably consider moving there, but considering it is north, it is too damn cold.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:26 PM

That's a good point. The more I think about it can you really name a "popular" large country in the world. Most of the universally popular countries are very small, like norway or sweden.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Ostrich alert

You wanna keep your heads buried in the sand, that's fine with me.

But the truth of the matter is that, currently, America happens to be positively reviled around the globe. That's what poll after poll shows, whether it is about Iraq or about "American bullying".

When you choose to be the neighborhood cop/bully, you forfeit your entry in the popularity contest. That's how things are. But I'm sure you folks believe that what America is after is worth the hate.

[ QUOTE ]
What major country is popular worldwide? China= no, France= no, Russia= no, Germany= no.

[/ QUOTE ] What are you talking about? Which of these countries is hated around the world as much as the United States? None. Not even remotely so.

Even Russia is much less despised than the U.S. now!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Ostrich alert

[ QUOTE ]
When you choose to be the neighborhood cop/bully, you forfeit your entry in the popularity contest. That's how things are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course foreign policy is a little more complex than just a popularity contest.

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm sure you folks believe that what America is after is worth the hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

More or less. I think the USA will be vindicated in its actions. Great people and great actions often engender much hate in their times and it takes the perspective of history to realize their greatness.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:35 PM

"...has there ever been this much hatred towards the U.S before?"
Probably not.
To any foreigner who hates the USA, I say Go ahead and hates us. Your hatred does not matter to me. I think most countries of the world are rather pathetic (especially in Africa and the Middle East) and what they think of the USA is not worthy of me caring what they think. I think their energies would be better spent fixing their screw-up countries than bitching about the USA...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a good point. The more I think about it can you really name a "popular" large country in the world. Most of the universally popular countries are very small, like norway or sweden.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not to brag or anything, but having a red passport (Norway and Switzerland) makes you being treated better in most of the world. I forgot to buy train ticket in Italy and I was clearly told that if I had been i.e. American I would been thrown out, but since I was Norwegian it was no problem. Have had a lot of similar experiences.

Likewise on borders, I just walk through while many other nationalities are stopped (after Schengen this is not a big problem in Europe anyhow).

That being said, it is an interesting subject. As you point out, the less powerful a country is the more popular it seems to be. However China has become "hot" so it cannot explain anything. I guess countries that do not interfere in other countries' business is the most popular ones (I advocate for foreign interference).

United States' popularity here is at an all-time low (it borders to hatred). Main reasons for this is very evident, human rights is on top of people consciousness here, and there it is evident the US/Israeli-alliance is one of the worst (general consensus here).

Does it have any political consequences for the US? It has leaked here that the government wanted to oppose harder against US policy but was threatened by US that we could lose our security guarantees. It shows that US is powerful enough to bully around, but the day you are not military and economiccally superior anymore your goodwill crisis will pose a big problem.

Again, look at China vs US, China consciously tries to build a better image. When Rumsfeld is asked about human rights he ridicules the questioner (like today, he reminded the journalist that a released Guantanamo-prisoner was involved in planning terror afterwards), when the Chinese foreign minister was asked the same question he said he was ashamed of the human rights abuses in China.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM

Tell your friends not to order freedom fries on their next trip.

And also tell them to try Eastern Europe. Better prices, better people, better architecture.