Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Animal Rescue and Katrina

>>Making a little boy leave his dog behind as he gets on a bus. If it was me i would not get on the bus. My dog is my child. <<

Agreed. My wife and I had made donations to both the Red Cross and the Humane Society over the last two days. However, after hearing the callous responses of some posters about this issue, any additional donations will be made to the humane society, period.

Many, many people and governments and resources are being devoted to the human tragedy Katrina has wrought. Now, dog/cat people need to directly give to dogs/cats via the appropriate agencies.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an opinion, but I disagree. There's a very real difference between human and animal "aid." This goes without saying, but every dollar going to look for a dog or cat doesn't go towards the man, woman, or child. I can mildly appreciate the comfort and such a pet provides their owner, but you'd need a better argument to convince me it's anywhere near the same level of significance as the peoples lives themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know much about people and their pets then. Guaranteed people died in New Orleans because they were unwilling to abandon their pets. You might think that is foolish, but people can have a stronger attachment to their pets than their house.

Knowing their pet is alive may well give some despairing people the will to live.

Frank
Old 09-05-2005, 07:43 AM

What about the rats?

How many street rats have drowned in this flood?

Can't we save the rats?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...the callous responses of some posters about this issue...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I have a lot of faith in people. Sometimes too much. I just really hope these posters grow up a little and develop some compassion.