Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Help please, how did I play this hand?

This was from the poker stars 5+.50 multi-tournament. I was up to 6th at one point but had a horrible dry run of cards after I doubled up with aces and only managed to steal 2 or 3 blinds since then.

I' m in the small blind and it's folded around when this hand happens.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (7 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t17410)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t31616)</font>
UTG (t28794)
MP1 (t27827)
MP2 (t27368)
CO (t61620)
Button (t36703)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t5000</font>, BB calls t3000.

Flop: (t8600) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t12310 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t12310.

Turn: (t33220) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t33220) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t33220
<font color="green">Main Pot: t33220 (t33220), between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (t33220).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 7d Qd (one pair, sevens).
BB has 9h Kd (straight, ten high).
Outcome: BB wins t33220. </font>

I figured Queen high was a good enough hand to attempt a steal in with only one more to act. Obviously I didn't want him to call. When the flop came two diamonds, I pushed and hoped he missed or would lay down a small pair, or if he called, I still had many outs. I saw it as a great opportunity to get myself in better chip position. We were already in the money and there was 30 left.

What do you think?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Help please, how did I play this hand?

I would have pushed preflop.

But once you make the smaller raise and get called, I push on the flop.

Bummer that you didn't catch a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Later,
Che
Old 10-08-2004, 02:55 PM

Remember that since you don't have 10x the BB, you should basically be in push or mode. Q 7 is a very marginal hand, probably barely a favorite over a random hand. The raise here to 5000 puts you in a bad position considering that if you were reraised, you would have to fold, which hurts you a lot. If you ARE called, you are almost always behind... in this case I was going to originally suggest check raising all-in but considering your stack and size of the pot, I feel that your post flop play was all you could do, because the check raise would almost never get the BB to lay down whatever they had.

The play in my opinion is to fold the Q7, wait for a better hand and then just push.

Cheers

Pat
Old 10-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Alright, I figured that would be the general consensus...either push or fold preflop. Maybe a push all in would of gotten him off his K9o, maybe it wouldn't of. I agree..probably should've waited for a better hand to get my chips in on, but it seemed like too good a chance to steal to pass up... to double up there would've really helped me =(..oh well..I'm sure I'll break through and place high in one of these soon.