Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: F the police. Seriously

[ QUOTE ]
If they do not want you to move your car, they will take the plates or will have the car moved to the impound.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO. FYP.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NJ police ( and I am assuming most police ) cannot just impound your vehicle. They have to have sufficient reason for the impound, or the lawsuit is a pleasent paycheck for the inconvienience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to defend the tale's veracity, but in many states, being charged with DUI automatically includes impounding the vehicle.

[ QUOTE ]
They can't write a DUI if your friend blew under the limit; instead he was probably given a Careless Driving ticket -- they CAN and DO hand these out often when the pull someone over that they think has been drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the 'legal limit' for intoxication is a sufficient, but not necessary, condition - check your local laws, but I think that if proof exists that the person was still a danger, then DUI can be assigned even if the BAC was below the 'legal limit'. Depending on your area, I may be completely wrong - I don't have access to an updated Code of New Jersey at my desk.

[ QUOTE ]
Why? well they likely pulled your friend over because he was failing to stay in the lane, or otherwise driving erraticly and the CD ticket is the fall back if they blow under the limit and they can't provide evidence of other "influences" ( drugs etc ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most police departments are perfectly able to test for 'other influences' without much difficulty, so this doesn't hold much water, to my mind.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never once had a cop be anything but professional

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been lucky. EXTREMELY lucky.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Just a minor correction. NJ Troopers can charge you with DUI if you blow under the legal limit(.08) As long as your operation of a motor vehicle appeared impaired. Remember people handle various amounts of alcohol differently.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM

That cop sounds like an unbelievable [censored]. The problem with police is that generally speaking they aren't very intelligent, it's not very difficult for them to get on the force, and they wield way too much authority. I have had several encounters with cops where they [censored] me over because I don't let them search me or my car without probable cause.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have never once had a cop be anything but professional

[/ QUOTE ]
You've been lucky. EXTREMELY lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think the difference is I don't open the window and immediately act like a complete [censored]ing [censored] [censored] to them. I have my drivers license and registration ready, and politely discuss why I was pulled over. Its amazing how not immediately being a complete [censored] to what is likely a decent guy just doing his job can help.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 AM

that sucks, becareful though they protect there own...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Similar NJ Police story...Cop blew a gasket that he refused to take the road test. Gave him an assortment of tickets (including DUI) and impounded his car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things:

First, I call bullshit. NJ police ( and I am assuming most police ) cannot just impound your vehicle. They have to have sufficient reason for the impound, or the lawsuit is a pleasent paycheck for the inconvienience. They can't write a DUI if your friend blew under the limit; instead he was probably given a Careless Driving ticket -- they CAN and DO hand these out often when the pull someone over that they think has been drinking. Why? well they likely pulled your friend over because he was failing to stay in the lane, or otherwise driving erraticly and the CD ticket is the fall back if they blow under the limit and they can't provide evidence of other "influences" ( drugs etc ).

Second, why is it that these cops are always "blowing a gasket" at these people. I have never once had a cop be anything but professional, of course I am usually professional to them -- maybe that is the difference. Realize that they are really trying to do a job, and there is very little reason to give them a bunch of [censored] just because they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if it were always that simple, but it's not. I've bumped into really cool cops, and into real arseholes, as well as unethical ones. And I'm super polite and a white guy who pretty much looks and acts like Clark Kent. So you know that many other people are getting it worse.

Cops do have an Us vs. Them mentality, and Them is everyone who is not a cop, first of all. Even the best of them do. And for the record, I've had a few cop friends, and they don't disagree on that point. It's a big problem in the way they handle people. Cops have great power, and the ability to exercise it without much oversight at all. If cops didn't abuse power, they'd be the only people on the planet who didn't, from your mommy up to the priest and the president. It's human nature, and putting on a uniform doesn't change that. Heck, it makes it worse.

Believe it, there are plenty of cops who treat citizens like crap. Doesn't mean they are all scum, but the temptation to be a dirtbag is very high with them, and they are in a culture in which, like it or not, it is both fairly acceptable and likely to result in little to no repercussions.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Well, I certainly didn't make up the story, and the friend who told me this is not wont to flights of fancy. FYI, this was NOT a NJ State Trooper, but an Edison Twp. municipal cop. And he WAS charged with DUI, in addition to other charges (reckless driving being among them). And his car was definitely impounded. According to my friend, the officer was screaming at him about refusing to take the road test, and was very forceful in patting him down (i.e., threw him pretty hard up against the car). Again, that is officer's prerogative if he thought the guy might be carrying a weapon or something. But to continue to scream at the guy is uncalled for.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:15 PM

we were just going to canada for some french fries and gravy officer.