Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Seat analysis: A9s in the BB

I think this is the kind of post we'd all like to see more of. The mental excercises we need to go through during a hand only bring more to light when we put it down in writing.

To comment on the hand specifically:

Obviously anyone who posts in MP1 can be considered pretty questionable to start with.

Interestingly enough, I have seen many loose passives take this line before. It is essentially WA/WB. They call down with middle pair (or TPBK) and if checked to they'll bet.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Good post, good analysis.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Nice post. When playing online is there any "nomenclature" for note taking?

Also, I always post my blind as soon as I sit down (live games only). I figure the fraction of a small bet it costs is more than made up for in table image. Anyone else do this or is it -EV?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I always post my blind as soon as I sit down (live games only). I figure the fraction of a small bet it costs is more than made up for in table image. Anyone else do this or is it -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

In an online game I only post in the CO for full games otherwise I just wait for the BB. In live games I will post in the CO, HJ, and sometimes MP2. If it's only a couple of hands till my big blind I just walk around pretending I have important things to do until the BB comes my way so as not to look like a nit.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM

Default What\'s a NIT?

I know, shameful and I hate to ask, but what's a NIT? It would be nice if there were a glossary on 2+2 ...
Old 10-05-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: What\'s a NIT?

[ QUOTE ]
I know, shameful and I hate to ask, but what's a NIT? It would be nice if there were a glossary on 2+2 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

*grasping for a definition*

Someone who only makes/takes bets when they have far the best of it and never gives any action on close bets (or when they have the worst of it). It is best to not be thought of as a nit (although if you can be a nit without being thought of as one, that is ok).
Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 PM

Well, I'd like to claim I put this much detail into my play on a regular basis, but I can't. That's part of the value I get out of this post personally. It helps me break things down step-by-step and will hopefully promote more consistent habits while I am at the tables.

I don't play 4+ tables anymore. I play 2 tables at most and I enjoy playing one table the best. Like you, I also feel I learn more and grow more when I can pay attention and play to the specific seats.

- Jim
Old 10-18-2005, 08:14 AM

Except for the preflop call I think villain played the hand good.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I often do this same thing - last night, at an exceptionally loose live table, I came in on a straddle, even though I ended up being by far the 'tightest' player at the table. While it's most certainly -EV, it did have the intended effect of getting a laugh, a couple people saying "All right, new guy's here to gamble!", and I dodged all the 'looks' that people get waiting for the BB in a low-limit game.

It's completely personal preference, though, and in a game with even marginally solid players, losing the 0.5/1bb might be more of an issue.

The reality, though, is that solid players will continuously revamp their reads on my play, much as BigEndian did with the button here - so while the 'advertising' may work briefly, eventually other factors will overcome that image for the truly good player(s) at the table. To put it another way, good players aren't going "he's folded for 2 orbits . . . but, gosh, he DID come in on a straddle, I'm sure he's raising light UTG . . . "

This means that my 'advertising' really is only being directed toward the weaker players, anyway - they are the ones least likely to change play based on this information, so I sort of doubt the utility of doing it. It seems to play well in my most common metagame scenarios, but YMMV - I'm thinking it's because the players at the limits I'm playing suck that badly, more than the actual benefits of the play.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Psychology forum post