Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Why winning players really win.

I recently had a thought, and though I'm quite sure I am not the first person to have made this hypothesis, I was wondering what the poker community at large had to say about this. Here it is- Winning players at the micro-medium limits (say 30/60 in most areas- I've played as high as 20/40) win primarily by being oppurtunistic. I believe this to be true because In a relatively short period of time I believe any player willing to learn how to play correctly can become a winner in today's poker environment. And that the real reason winners win is because they are really the only ones who care about winning. Most poker players play for fun, or to gamble, and know that with the proper effort they could greatly increase their EV (even if they don't yet know what EV is), but they choose not to because that is simply not why they play poker. I can think of specific examples of individuals I know who even know how to play properly but prefer the action over the potential profit. Winning players are the players who prefer the profit over the action, and are simply there to take advantage of those who don't care about their money or don't possess the knowledge to hold on to it at the table. Basically, I contend that talent and skill is not what really makes a low-mid stakes winner, but rather the ability to seize an oppurtunity. I feel this way primarily because I have had success in the games I have played to this point in my poker career, and I really don't feel like I am anything special with respect to my poker talent. I am simply a guy who took the time and had the patience to take advantage of oppurtunities and profit from them. Agreements and disagreements welcomed.