Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Exploiting the aggressive image

This was an interesting situation in last nights Stars $3R. I had been playing rather tight for a few orbits. I'm in the big blind and look down at 99. One person limps, all fold to the SB who completes. I decided then that limpers on my blind were to be punished this orbit and pushed all-in putting them to a tough decision. I was fortunate to be put in this situation again in the small blind with KQo and one limper in the pot who folded to my push. I was fairly sure that in both cases the other people would certainly fold, probably giving them about a 70% likelihood of folding. Then on the button I came across the following hand. With my (new) super aggressive image at the table I decide that I'm going to exploit that image. Do you play this any differently?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t5561)
UTG+1 (t27495)
MP1 (t8125)
MP2 (t7050)
MP3 (t5799)
CO (t14368)
Hero (t15008)
SB (t16104)
BB (t16224)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t1000, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t14983</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t13983, MP2 folds.

Flop: (t31141) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t31141) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t31141) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t31141
Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Exploiting the aggressive image

Nope, I've done this before, pushed when everyone folded to me in LP with a crappy hand, then get AK and do it again with a limper and everyone folds, then 2 limpers and push again with AA, and someone calls with K3o because "I was raising with anything". Good way to double up on a premium hand but its one of those cases that the cards just have to fall right for it to work very well. Sometimes they will call you on the second push in a row, and since you pushed a few other times, a regular raise would look suspicious to some, and a limp is certainly not right.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:29 AM

I like it. Doing something like raising to 4000 screams "I have a big pair," and people are more likely to put you on something like AK or even AQ when you push there.

Nothing's better than someone deciding to take a stand against your aces. Just hope your table doesn't break for a while now that people will fear your big raises.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 AM

I like it.

When someone pushes two hands straight, then makes a smallish raise, all sorts of alarms go off in my head. I'd probably be getting ready to call with marginal hands here.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just hope your table doesn't break for a while now that people will fear your big raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

The table broke 3 or 4 hands later, 2nd hand at the new table I'm in the SB with 44 and all fold to me... pushed into BBs Aces. Oh well, I guess being super aggro can go either way.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 AM

You did what?!

I'm assuming after winning this hand you have ~t28000. Why in god's name would you push your entire 70+ BB stack to win a measly t400?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:12 PM

Actually it was about T36,000 by this time.

I really didn't think the big stack would risk it all to call me with anything but the nuts, which it turns out he had. Completing or just raising was probably the right move for me there but I was just stuck in that super aggro mode and picked the wrong bet size. This move proabably deserves more discussion than the AA hand, but I feel that I learned my lesson from that one. Live and learn.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Being super-aggro you get big swings in stack size yes. I try this move from time to time aswell. Pushing some marginal holdings against weak-tighties, then also push your premium hand to get called by some ppl that feel they had been pushed around enough and make a stand. Ofcourse you will only scoop the blinds on occasion, but that's a risk I'm willing to take every once in a while.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 PM

I like it.

I also like pushing 99-AA big overbet all in over limpers because often the guy with 66 puts you squarely on AK and wants to race.

Regards,
Woodguy