Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Default 10/25 AK hand. I don\'t like the way I played it.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $25 BB (6 handed) converter

MP ($3033)
Hero ($2814)
Button ($1368)
SB ($1584)
BB ($3093.50)
UTG ($4081)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP raises to $85, Hero raises to $225, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP calls $140.

Flop: ($485) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero bets $350, MP raises to $1000, Hero goes all-in for $2589.

I'm thinking I should have called his flop raise, and gotten my chips all-in on the turn regardless of the turn card. That way I don't give him a good chance to fold a worse hand. I still lose the full amount when I'm behind in both scenarios. Is it possible to find a fold here? The only advantage I see to going all-in on the flop is that he might fold his AK, but I'm not sure how likely that is.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: 10/25 AK hand. I don\'t like the way I played it.

I don't play this high, so my advice might seem a little novice but Given his preflop raise (if it means anything, I don't know how the game was playing) what hands do you put him on that you beat on that flop? QQ? He could have been trying to steal the pot from you with his raise, but if he calls your flop all-in you have to be behind. At best you are looking at going against a flush draw....
Old 09-01-2004, 07:28 PM

ZeeJustin -

I have learned a lot from your posts. Could you tell me why you would reraise to $225 preflop? It seems like that defines your hand, but is not enough to win it right there.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have learned a lot from your posts. Could you tell me why you would reraise to $225 preflop? It seems like that defines your hand, but is not enough to win it right there

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard preflop reraise is approx. 2.5x the initial raise. A large majority of the time that I reraise, I have the best hand, so I don't always want them to fold.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:17 PM

He also has position and it will most likely get the pot heads up...
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 PM

unless your opponent is just a complete fish, I don't really see you getting calling by a lot that you can beat here. most competent players are not just going to shovel chips in the pot with KQ here.

I really think you overplayed your hand here, starting with the reraise preflop. if he does have a hand you want him to have (like AQ,KQ), your reraise is going to scare the hell out of him and make your hand almost transparent. By playing this the way you did you might as well type in the chat box "I have AK or better". against a good player you are going to get action when you are crushed and the rest of the time you're going to win a small pot. if he's a bad player then great, but even most bad players at this level can get away from a pair when you play the hand like you did (basically as straightforwardly as possible).

--turnipmonster
Old 09-01-2004, 11:02 PM

I agree with everything in Turnipmonster's post.....to that let me add a couple things.....you don't give any player info, but for the most part, I feel you really played this hand in such a way that any decent opponent can't make a mistake against you.....the ONLY possible thing I could see here is the possibility of making your opponent lay down his own AK.......
Old 09-02-2004, 06:27 AM

So what did he end up having, TT,77 or a big draw?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Results

He folded.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Default My thinking

During the hand I was concentrating on the fact that his check raise was so small. I thought 99, JJ, QQ, AK, KQ, and random flush draws like AJ, AQ, JT, AT were more likely than 77, TT and AA (the only 3 hands I'm behind that are reasonable).

Especially in a 6 handed game, I still don't really see why this small check raise means I'm behind when so few hands beat me.