Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: What is a good/bad session at a B&M????

I am no expert, but I believe that the advantage of actually being able to SEE your opponents has to give you an advantage, especially at 3/6 and 4/8. (Yesterday at 6/12 the guy next to me let out a disappointed sigh when the flop came 995. At showdown he showed his qaud 9's.) Some of the tells exhibited by these players are obvious. (Another situation: I raise AQs utg. One guy calls. Flop comes ATT. I bet, he calls. Turn is a brick. I bet, he raises. I look at him, who is calmly and disinterestedly watching TV, and think "does he really have me? He acts like he doesn't care, which clearly means he has a monster. But I can't get away from TPQK." I look him up and he shows pocket A's. I should have given him for credit for a ten and mucked, but I have leaks just like everybody else.) I know there are less hands/hr at B&M, but the advantage gained from a moderate ability to read people has to count for something.

I am by no means suggesting that I will always win at B&M games, but the players I have seen there are infinitely worse than even the clowns I run into at Party 1/2. Isn't B&M at 4/8 more profitable (or at least close) to 4-tabling at Party 1/2?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't B&M at 4/8 more profitable (or at least close) to 4-tabling at Party 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, due the higher rake and tipping. Plus you don't play 4x as many hands 4 tabling online as 1 table B&M, you probably play 6x more [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Isn't B&M at 4/8 more profitable (or at least close) to 4-tabling at Party 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, due the higher rake and tipping. Plus you don't play 4x as many hands 4 tabling online as 1 table B&M, you probably play 6x more [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right, but (at least for me) it can be difficult to establish solid reads on players while 4-tabling.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:46 PM

I'm pretty sure 4-tabling at 1/2 would be unprofitable for me. I have trouble keeping up with more than two tables at a time. But then I'm a little slow.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But then I'm a little slow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are probably right, but (at least for me) it can be difficult to establish solid reads on players while 4-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, you can't. But you have poker tracker online...plus even if your win rate 4 tabling is half what it is at one table, well, you're playing 4x the hands, so...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:35 PM

81BB is monstrous. You'll typically have single session swings between +/- 30BB. My biggest loss was 61BB in a ~5 hour 6-12 session, and my biggest win was 82BB in a ~6 hour 20-40 session.

El Diablo once won >100BB in a marathon B&M session.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:28 AM

Maybe I've just been lucky to get involved in incredibly soft games.

Just because you play in soft games doesn't mean they are auto-beatable.

When playing LL games you have to get some decent hands to play and hit some flops and hit your strong draws the appropriate percentage of the time (or more).

Period. End of Story.

Trust me, you play long enough you're going to have a session where you consistently make the 2nd best hand, miss every draw and get run down every time you flop TPTK, two pair that doesn't improve, etc...

Unfortunately, those nightS (emphazise the S) will happen and you'll get your ass handed to you. No one is invulnerable to that no matter what the texture of the games are that you play in.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a decent win rate at lower limit B&M in the current poker climate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you've seen what others have said. I do believe 3BB/hr is possible in some of these very loose/passive games. However I doubt this will ever be settled as no one is about to play a signifact sample size of 2/4, 3/6. Do you want to play 1000+ hours of 2/4 just to prove a point? I sure don't.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 AM

Well, having no losing sessions simply means you have not met the cold hearted poker goddess yet. When she arrives, you will recognize her. Every set of aces you make on the flop will be sucked out by 2 4 offsuit making the wheel on the river. Every straight will be beaten by 7 T suited on the river. And this will happen for an entire session. Been there, it sucks.

As far as numbers, I play in a regular B&M $10/$20 and/or $15/$30 game and have made 50BB and have lost 25BB in single sessions. I average 1.6 BB per hour in that game and I feel that's the best I can do, and I do feel that I play fairly well.

Online I two table $15/$30 at Party and have had winning sessions of up to 74BB and losing sessions of 63BB. I average 2.7 BB per hour of profit at this level.

I attribute the difference in earnings to the hands dealt per hour. I figure that the B&M dealers give me 25 hands per hour or so to look at while online I get around 100 to 120 or so with two tables. And while online may seem like a tougher game, it may be because you have so many loose aggressive players willing to try chase you down. I call this the California style because they seem to be players who want to ram and jam and don't care about the money that much. Sometimes our B&M game is tight and tough, and you just have to adapt. Of course, Canterbury is all California style ram and jam, except the $6/$12 which can be fairly tight and tough. Try the $8/$16 there....it's like a $2/$4 game on steroids. Bring a large and strong seatbelt with a big bankroll.

Well, hope those numbers help in your comparitive analysis. Good Luck and hope that Poker Goddess never makes it to your door.