Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Shorthanded-Limit Holdem Questions. Also lookin for mentor

First off let me introduce myself. I am 19 years old and just recently became a lurker here. I am about to re-enter school. Poker is a hobby for me and that is all at this point (also helps a little hide money coming in). I am trying to improve my game immensely so I figured why not ask some of the more experienced players question, sorry if this is just a useless post to you but I'm tryin to learn.

In a shorthanded 6-max game limit holdem game, full table, is it worth trying to steal the blinds with low-mid suited connectors like 67s etc or is it just a losing proposition long-haul?

If I'm UTG or UTG+1 should i be mucking 7's and lower if the avg players in pot is 2-3?

If I'm in the BB or SB and a couple players are already limped in and I know they aren't folding for a raise, should I raise hands like AQs even though I'll be out of position rest of the hand?

Mentor Wise: I am really just lookin for someone who I can chat with on aim here and there and ask basic questions like the ones posted above without having to come in front of a whole board and post it. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Shorthanded-Limit Holdem Questions. Also lookin for mentor

Devour this forum and be sure to search the archives -- there are a ton of interesting discussions that will help you think about these questions (and many others) and come to your own conclusions depending on game conditions / other factors / "this is a no-brainer sort of thing."

Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a shorthanded 6-max game limit holdem game, full table, is it worth trying to steal the blinds with low-mid suited connectors like 67s etc or is it just a losing proposition long-haul?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on who's in the blinds. Against your average low-mid limit 6-maxer though it's probably not a good idea, because people don't like to fold their blinds very often.

[ QUOTE ]

If I'm UTG or UTG+1 should i be mucking 7's and lower if the avg players in pot is 2-3?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, 77 is a raise. I like raising with 66 or 55 in EP sometimes too depending on the situation. But 77 I think you can raise UTG pretty much all the time.

[ QUOTE ]

If I'm in the BB or SB and a couple players are already limped in and I know they aren't folding for a raise, should I raise hands like AQs even though I'll be out of position rest of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. Screw position, you have a lot of equity preflop with the obvious best hand

[ QUOTE ]

Mentor Wise: I am really just lookin for someone who I can chat with on aim here and there and ask basic questions like the ones posted above without having to come in front of a whole board and post it. Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be afraid to post basic questions. This forum covers limits from micro to high, people are generally pretty helpful.

There are people who coach though if that's what you're looking for, and they're definitely helpful, but not free
Old 08-20-2005, 02:33 AM

Posting questions on the forums is far superior to just asking 1 person. Those who feel like replying will, those who don't will just ignore it. You will get a lot of varied responses & different opinions and styles of play which is priceless.

Start playing & start posting hands rather than generalizations. There are very few "concrete" rules in poker. You can't even say "you should NEVER raise 27o" because there are correct situations to do it.