Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Need to start somewhere

My "Where should I start" post from last night didn't recieve any responses so I figure the best best thing to do is read, play and post. Sorry if some of my posts become elementary. I'm a limit player and don't know what aspects to change.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

BB ($47.65)
UTG ($24.5)
UTG+1 ($34)
Hero ($24.5)
MP1 ($23.75)
MP2 ($24.5)
MP3 ($35.1)
CO ($47.95)
Button ($10.52)
SB ($26.05)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $1, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50.

Okay, 77. Limp PF and go for multible callers and play for set or put in a good raise and get it HU with maybe someone with overs or a lower PP.

Flop: ($4.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, CO folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Okay I now have and overpair. Take it down right now. 6xBB good. Bet more?..Less? Take another, more profitable line??

Final Pot: $7.25
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Need to start somewhere

Looks pretty good but I would have bet at least the size of the pot and mabye overbet on a board that is as draw friendly as this. A bet of 3 into a 4.25 pot on the flop makes me think either the guy is weak or he is trying to act weak. So bet more.

silly
Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 AM

Very very rarely do you min-raise PF. Don't min-raise with 77 in EP at a full table. The only reasons you would raise with a medium PP in EP is for deception or if there's lots of folding PF or if they're check/fold on the flop when they miss. Limp with it unless it's an aggressive table and there's lots of raising PF.

On the flop you have an extremely vulnerable hand. I would bet more than the pot here, $6 or $7 but that's just me... Other people would probably pot-size it.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 PM

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but don't raise with mid PP's. These are the types of hands that you should limp with, unless it is a blind steal or you are really short-stacked and push with it. In ring games though, that second reason doesn't really come into play. Small-Mid PP work well when played for set potential in busting other hands. Play them slow, hope for a set, then play them big.

In this case, even if you just called here and saw this flop, I would bet the pot. I don't usually overbet the pot, but with your PF raise, an overbet wouldn't be a bad idea. Nothing wrong with taking this hand down right here. Good luck with the transition. Oh, and keep the min-raises at the limit tables. Take care.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Would it be correct to raise any low/mid PP(maybe from CO/Button) if you thought you could get HU. I believe against overs you would be a slight favorite, or is it still not worth it even then?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:43 PM

i only raise them when trying to steal. getting heads up reduces your implied odds, which is what these pocket pairs thrive on. you want to hit your set/boat cheap, and then get all your money in with multiple callers.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:20 PM

Bingo