Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Wynn 5/10 NL Deepstacks

This game got a lot tougher during the world series, but still had its moments if you sat at the right time. There were two minimum buy-in players ($500) one of which didn't know what he was doing, and the other being a tight young kid who looked like he was playing a short stack well. Most other people had between $1000-2000. Villain in this hand has ~6K and I have him covered. We are the two big stacks. It's been a relatively TAG game since the two small stacks sat.

Villain opens UTG for $40.

In this type of game, I know villain well enough to assume he would go for a limp-raise with any big pocket pair and loves to lead out in EP with suited connecters. He will limp with any pocket pair (~75% sure of this) in current game conditions. He does not want to be hit with reverse implied odds and be playing AA out of position deep stacked against a large field.

Hero calls on the button with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as does the BB(~1200).

Three see a flop ($125) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The BB leads out for $80 and Villain makes it $200 to go. Hero makes it $600. BB folds and Villain re-raises to $1800. He isn't the type to slowplay even on a flop like this if he the nut strait.

Villain respects my play and knows I could have a big hand. Whats your line and if your line means action on future rounds, how would you play those rounds?
*EDIT: Forgot to mention the game is 9 handed if you were curious.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Wynn 5/10 NL Deepstacks

I fold. I also probably call villain's first raise rather than re-raising. Do you raise your flush draws?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:22 AM

Bottom set, i think this is a fold given the action. One of the few times you can fold a set and be happy about it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 AM

So, you're sure he doesn'thave a big pair and you're 75% sure he doesn't have a set because he limps with pairs. He does raise small suited connectors in EP, though. That makes the range of hands that is beating you extremely small: 78s and, uh, 78s unless he also raises 23s in early position. I am guessing the villain would also push pretty hard here with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], right?

You say the villain is not the type to slowplay but is he the type to overplay? Could he be pushing this hard with 45/56? What about 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? I'm having a really hard time finding a way to get off this hand because of the fact that we're assigning such a low likelyhood to set-over-set. If you are ahead, I imagine there are a LOT of cards that can kill your handon the turn. How about calling looking to get your money in on a non-heart non-straight turn?

I'm not a big fan of your bottom set but you didn't really say whether the villain must have a straight to play this strongly. Will he pay off if the board pairs on the turn?

SpaceAce
Old 07-19-2005, 04:26 AM

In Response to AZK:

I usually mix it up, but against him in this situation I would probably raise and try to get a free card for a flush vs a big stack in position. I was just worried because I wasn't the last threat to act if I just called. The BB would call and than many, many turn cards would be scary. Whoever took the lead (one of them would) would bet big on the turn probably no matter what unless pure bluff. The BB probably has two pair or sucker strait or top pair and open-ended. I could also get trapped if BB has nuts and Villain bets the turn for a lot, Hero calls, and than I get caught inbetween and lose a lot of money. I'm kinda going all over the place with my thoughts. Oh well.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 AM

I can never be 100% sure against him, because he is tricky. Yes, it is possible he has absolutely nothing, and it is possible he has a strait, or he can be somewhere inbetween -John Madden. He will overplay hands every now and than so he can get paid off when he flops a hidden monster. He likes to set up overbets. Also possible for him to have 23s, but I didn't know the SB's action yet when I had to act on the flop. He would just lead into us for $80 unless he has something. The SB was that type of player. But he will also call with a relatively wide range of hands in that spot preflop because he can play the flop well.

The main problem for me was that I thought the SB was thinking UTG Villain had a big hand. Why would he lead out on that flop if he thinks UTG Villain has a big pocket pair?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom set, i think this is a fold given the action. One of the few times you can fold a set and be happy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]i agree.
basically your hand is just not that big in this spot... this guy is totally opening himself up OOP. looking very big.
a rare spot where bottom set just isnt huge...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 AM

If UTG Villain started the hand with $1000 how should I have played after he made it 200? If I raise to 500 and he pushes? Other logically lines? Remember that I'm still worried about BB.

What if I started the hand with $1000? or $1500-2000?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If UTG Villain started the hand with $1000 how should I have played after he made it 200? If I raise to 500 and he pushes? Other logically lines? Remember that I'm still worried about BB.

[/ QUOTE ]if neither had more than 1000 i would threebet allin.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 AM

i think this is a fairly easy fold. it's kind of like a reverse implied odds situation. if he flopped the straight, he's not necessarily gonna lose the rest of his considerable stack to you if the board pairs (you said he knows you have a big hand here, so he'll likely realize you filled up), but if your read is wrong and he did raise 66 or 55, then you're completely screwed. there's 1400 in the pot, 1200 more to you, 4200 behind to play for, you only have 7 outs if he has the nut, and you may not get paid off even if you hit. fold.