Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Knowing your opponents hand... still played poorly?

I was not the limp-raiser, he was. I still had position on him. And I know it was a terrible call either way.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Pushing him all-in on this flop pretty much tells him you don't have the Q or JJ. Check and do one of those 'please call me bets' on the turn if checked to again, then go all-in and hope you win. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM

Slightly off topic; I believe AK is the one of the most overated hands. From what I've been seeing lately, a lot of people are calling re-raises with AK playing against players they <font color="red">don't know </font> . That's key here. People they don't know. When you play against people you don't know, you MUST assume, when you're re-raised, that the unknown person has AA or KK ( We're talking about 1000NL here not 100NL). It's that simple. Fold and move on to the next hand. Get to know the person you're playing against before you ever even consider calling re-raises with AK. There's plenty of other opportunities to make money off them.

Now to your case after the flop it all depends on the the texture of the flop. You must provide all the suits for the cards. Were you on a Royal Flush draw? I won't know until you provide more information. If you have the hand history for that hand you can use this link to convert your hand history into a more readable format. Now that I think about it checking is the only option here, regardless of the texture of the flop.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM

I am completely aware of the overrateddness of AK and it was a terrible preflop call which is why the topic was only posted for the postflop scenario. It was after an all night session and I wasn't thinking clearly.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly think that AA or KK would check OOP here? I think that any decent, aggressive, thinking player is going to bet this flop 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because god knows decent players never try setting traps or check-raising...The fact is I often will bet with AA here but every once in a while it makes sense to check an overpair to this board, if only to try inducing a bluff.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 PM

I completely disagree. A check call line here out of AA often is correct and certainly is not unusual.