Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2005, 04:37 AM

Default LAG play...

I've been playing poker somewhat seriously for about 2 years, only kicking it into high gear and getting really serious over the last 6 months. My bankroll is over 10k now, and I only play $100 and sometimes $200 nl.

I've read Super System, pretty much anything by Sklansky, Herrington, and constantly read forums like these (I'm new on here btw) trying to improve my game.

It seems that the general school of thought is that TAG is the best way to play. I try to switch gears on the fly and go with the flow of the table, but I seem to have the most success playing LAG shorthanded. I'll usually see a flop with anything on the button if it's cheap, I'll play suited connectors from almost any position if theres not alot of preflop raising going on, I'll play small pairs from any position, will steal blinds from passive opponents with almost any 2 cards, and I raise and reraise all the time. I also know when I'm beat and how to get out of a pot without committing myself.

I win a bunch of small pots, get action on my big hands, and never get bored playing, so it works out pretty well for me.

My take on the suited connectors and small cards is that in the long run my implied odds from getting paid on my big hands makes up for the money I'll put in preflop.

Also, I think of my buy in as one single bet. I'm never afraid to move in, especially up against a tight table. I don't think I've ever sat down in a cash game without moving in at least 3-4 times, usually more than that.

On paper this probably looks like terrible play, but it consistantly pays off for me. I'd have alot more than 10k for poker right now if I didn't like spending money so much.

I'm just wondering if anyone else plays in a similar style, and I'm really interested to hear from critics of this type of play. Thanks.