FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
PITTM 111 58.73%
Nothumb 78 41.27%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2005, 05:46 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: Rebuild or Redeposit

If you have the money and don't need it, does it really matter where it is? Can't you just deposit in like 2 seconds if you need it? And take it home in a few hours as well?

This is like the most stupid question I have read in this forum yet [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

And you make a poll as well so the other suckers can vote? MWAHAHAHA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM

You're trying to keep your gambling and real life bankrolls separate, which is good. Dipping into one for the other is ok as long as you hold yourself accountable for it... treat it like a loan. Have a plan to pay it back. That could mean scheduled payments or a percentage of weekly/monthly winnings, whatever you want to do. It sounds like you're concerned with being financially accountable with your online play and i think that's the right way to go about it.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:47 AM

I am not a millionaire and I like to think through decisions I make with my money. While you may still live with Mommy I live in the real world and have to make solid decisions.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a millionaire and I like to think through decisions I make with my money. While you may still live with Mommy I live in the real world and have to make solid decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid decisions? "Do I want my money in the bank or in the poker site?" WOW, that's really though!

I hope you can afford some holidays after that brain drainer....
Old 06-21-2005, 09:54 AM

Your decision is as simple as "Do I want to play $0.5/1 or $5/10?"
Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 AM

I have a "check valve" with regards to money online: It only goes TO my bank account. Money can't go FROM my bank account.

Whatever is in poker accounts and neteller I regard as my bankroll. If I lose and need to rebuild, it does not take long. Average time to double BR for me is 20 days/15,000 hands till 50K. After that (15-30 uncomfortable, a 30-60 fish), I don't play, because I figure I'm not a favorite to win or my edge is too small.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a "check valve" with regards to money online: It only goes TO my bank account. Money can't go FROM my bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people never consider the possibility of funding your bankroll with your own funds. It sounds like you play middle limits, and to me it doesn't make sense to rebuild a bankroll at $3/6 if you know you're a winning player at $10/20 6-max, although at this level you'd basically have to have a ton of money saved up in order to stake yourself.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people never consider the possibility of funding your bankroll with your own funds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It keeps your ego grounded, your money safe, and your game sharp. A "floating 300-BB BR" is all a winning player needs, if you lose move down, if you win move up, if you double BR at the top game you can crush (I mean crush, not beat it for 1 BB/100), withdraw half to your bank.

IMO, you can lose money online in many ways, not directly related to your "normal" skill: tilting, bots, cheating, confiscation, etc. If you move down when you lose, you can never be badly damaged.

[ QUOTE ]
if you know you're a winning player at $10/20 6-max

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never know.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Recreational or not, you have to manage your bankroll properly. It is as important as playing correctly.

You neglected to mention what state your bankroll was in when you moved back down to 5/10, unless this is what you mean by "snapped out of it".

Bailing yourself out with a deposit to your bankroll doesn't do anything to teach you about the costly errors of playing outside your bankroll. You've got 300BB for a sustaining bankroll at 3/6. Grind it out, and make sure you have plenty of bankroll over and above 300BB when you take a shot at higher limits.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you know you're a winning player at $10/20 6-max

[/ QUOTE ]

You can never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
A "floating 300-BB BR" is all a winning player needs, if you lose move down, if you win move up, if you double BR at the top game you can crush (I mean crush, not beat it for 1 BB/100), withdraw half to your bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I personally like the "300 BB" rule, I think if you're a) playing tougher games ($5/10 and up) b) playing 6-8 tables c) playing short-handed I think it is best to have a bankroll between 500-1000 BB, the more the better. Why? These faster games will increase your variance due to blind confrontations, isolated HU pots, etc.

Also I wouldn't want to lose focus after losing 100 BB or more (which may have happened to the OP) because the loss is a significant portion of my roll. Lastly, I have known several good players who have went on 200+ BB downswings with winrates above 2 BB/100, so I think a larger bankroll is necessary if you never want to worry about going broke.

Also I think that doubling your bankroll should not be the "bar" for moving up to the next level, it should be based on
whether you feel like you are ready for the move up.