Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Please define \"gaybet\"

example
Old 05-06-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Please define \"gaybet\"

I don't know what it means, and I don't really care. I think its a moronic and offensive term.

Unless it means "happybet"
Old 05-06-2005, 01:51 PM

This is a new term for me too, and I've been around the game for too many years to tell [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm assuming though that what is meant by this is a bet with no real substance behind it, rather than the guy having the flush. In this sense I guess "gaybets" wouldn't be ones we would be worried about, as opposed to the player's real worry in this hand, which is a checkraise from the BB, which indeed would be more threatening.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 05-06-2005, 08:24 PM

A gaybet is a bet like 1$ bet into a 100 $ pot. Its not intended to raise the pot or make you fold or anything.
Just intended to piss you off.

Another type of gaybet is when there are 7 limpers or so. The guy in late position miniraise and another guy somewhere suddenly start to miniraise he too. They miniraise for forever, which is irritating as hell for the 5 others, since they have no clue where this will end.
Its also quite common that both mini-raisers are sitting with crap, after which a third guy with a well-hidden AA takes a big pot.

This type of raising is of course not called gaybet in the poker books, but sand-sandwich effect.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 PM

This is one type of gaybet:
board A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

family pot 7 players. 3 idiots start raising with the intention of having fewer people to split the pot. The fourth guy takes it with the final A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You are one of the victims.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:16 AM

I think I preferred it when this was called a "post oak bet". At least it sounded mysterious rather than stupid and ignorant.

Regards,

T
Old 05-07-2005, 05:16 PM

But the example was in a limit game, you can't underbet in a limit game.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...what is meant by this is a bet with no real substance behind it, rather than the guy having the flush. In this sense I guess "gaybets" wouldn't be ones we would be worried about, as opposed to the player's real worry in this hand, which is a checkraise from the BB, which indeed would be more threatening.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 PM

I don't think the term is a good one. It needlessly perpetuates the stereotype that poker players have a mental age of 12. It was at best silly in 8th grade that people said, "That shirt is gay," or "Mondays are so gay." It sounds even worse when it comes from adults.

What the term means in this context (limit) is that the hero showed the last aggression on previous streets (betting), but the out-of-position player bet into the hero rather than checking to him.

In NL, I've seen the term used to refer to a tiny, annoying bet, e.g., you raise preflop with AK and get 3 callers, then the blind bets 1/5 of the pot into you on a rag flop.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:34 AM

The alternative "PC" name is "donkbet". I think it may mean something different in NL to Limit.

In Limit, it is a bet that is made against the flow of play. So far example, I raise preflop and the flop comes AK3. Normally, it will be checked to me, and everyone will expect me to bet that flop. However, sometimes a "donk" will just bet into the preflop raiser. This play has seems to have become increasingly common at the Party mid limits over the past few week

It has also been called a "weak bet", because normally the strongest action is to check-raise the preflop raiser, rather than betting into him.