Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 05:07 PM

Default I have a serious problem - anybody ever try hypnosis?

Here's the scoop:

20 years ago I played a couple years of poker with no other income. I was weak/tight and unimaginative. I made about twice minimum wage and then got a "real" job. In Sept. of 2003 I started playing again, mostly on the internet. I began playing full-time last December and have moved from micros to $5/$10 and play a little higher on occasion.

If you have read some of my posts, I have a general idea how to play, and enjoy moderate success. My wife works, and I play about 100-150 hours a month and supply about a third of our income.

The problem I have is that I have finally built my bankroll to what I thought would be my comfort zone of 1000BB plus a side account with cash for tournaments in 2005. But:

I am scared to death of losing.
I will grind away for hours while up or down a few BB but if I hit a good hand or two and win $100+ I quit.
Whenever I bonus whore I want to play 4-tables of $1/$2 to clear it quickly and guarantee that I can see a profit, instead of just playing a couple $5/$10 and getting the best hourly rate.
I am so goal-oriented and worried about losing my BR that I am not getting in the hours I should. Instead, I cruise the 2+2, check my email etc. while playing just one game or none.

This is an honest and very embarrassing problem that is keeping me from making what I should, and moving up any higher. It is almost as if I have decided how much I should make (what my worth is) per month and am afraid or feel unworthy of making more.

I can't believe I just wrote this, but that's my situation. Any advice? Anybody tried hypnosis for mental conditioning?

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Re: I have a serious problem - anybody ever try hypnosis?

It is very common is straight commission sales, Salesperson jumps out and makes big money early then self destructs and makes the same this year as last year.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:13 PM

It has little effect unfortunately.

I suggest a you try to find a good book on sports psychology and positive reinforcement. Which while slow going actually does work.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the great post. I am struggling with the same problems as you are.

Taking your game to that next level has less to do with how you play the cards, and more to do with how you manage your own head.

Here is a book that you will find very helpful - The Inner Game of Tennis by Tim Gallwey.

I really believe that if you are skilled enough to make $1000 a month playing poker, then you are skilled enough to make the necessary adjustments to make $5000 a month. The only thing holding us back is ourselves.

When I make it to that next level, I think I will write a book of my own and call it - The Inner game of Poker.

Good Luck...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Thanks guys. I am still hoping for more responses, but perhaps there are just a few of us with this problem. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'll go look for a few books - I want 2005 to be even better than 2004, and it can not be (financially) if I don't find a way to improve my mental toughness.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 PM

This is human nature, we want to quit while ahead and if we're losing we want to "win it back". However it might help if you just think of all your poker as just one big session.

Or you could try setting aside a hand quota for the day. Just tell yourself that you'll play 1,000 hands and then quit no matter if you're up or down.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 PM

Maybe you're reached your comfort level. Brunson talks about this in S/S. He says a lot of good solid pros can't make the jump to the next level. If you push yourself past your comfort level you won't play as well as you should, or need to, to be successful. What kind of poker are you playing? If it's hold'em, maybe you would be more comfortable with a different game?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:47 PM

I used to play exclusively 7-stud, then learned lowball and finally Hold'em. There is no doubt in my mind now (nor was there 15 years ago) that Hold'em is the place to be.

I play both NL and limit, and some tournaments. I just hate to lose - maybe that is the problem.

I played at a local B&M a couple days ago. $6/$12 game, average, nothing special. I had all evening to play, but after an hour of being card-dead I finally won a couple pots and was up $7 and I quit. This make no sense. This game is good enough for me to win 2BB/hour on average so it was worth playing.

Maybe the best advice is to set a goal of hands played [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] per day. In fact, 1000 is probably a good start. I'll try it.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is almost as if I have decided how much I should make (what my worth is) per month and am afraid or feel unworthy of making more.

[/ QUOTE ]Louise Hay addresses this in How To Heal Your Life. I recommend the two tape audio version (not the 4 tape version). Suze Orman talks about some of this stuff also in "The Courage To Be Rich." I know of a few more like that. If you like those, let me know.

Good luck,
TomBk
Old 12-21-2004, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Here is a book that you will find very helpful - The Inner Game of Tennis by Tim Gallwey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this-- sounds silly, but a great read for mental toughness in just about anything.