Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Yahoo article about NYC crackdown

Why thank you! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 PM

firstly id like to say that its possible i dont have my facts straight but i consider the source ive gotten this information from much more reliable then most of you.

i am not talking about an al pacino godfather character when i say mafia. do you really believe there is no such thing as the mafia? it obviously exists. why is it so hard to believe that if you open up an illegal and very profitable business that a more powerful illegal operation with weapons wont come to you and tell you that they want in the deal? stuff like that is naturally going to take place. the police arent going to protect illegal businesses from more powerful illegal businesses so what is stopping this from happening? nothing. this article talks about the nypd cracking down on poker rooms because it might lead to drug trafficing. you can either assume that the nypd is making up an excuse to raid clubs or you can actually consider the fact that it might have credibility.

now if you told me that you know a club owner and you know for a fact he has never been approached by a more powerful illegal business that wanted in on his funds id probably believe you. i believe tt so maybe im wrong that this doesnt at least sometimes take place. to the rest of those who felt the need to insult me because you are so sure of whats real and what isnt need your heads checked.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:33 AM

It's true you will get a "partner", who is a front man for a mob group. Many of the games run in Chinatown are run by gangs. It's like this in Toronto and it has to be like this in NYC......... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's true you will get a "partner", who is a front man for a mob group. Many of the games run in Chinatown are run by gangs. It's like this in Toronto and it has to be like this in NYC......... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only Chinese owned business was run by a reputable former dealer and big PLO player. His policy was no weapons allowed, if the room was ever robbed his fear was that having a weapon on site would get someone hurt. Doesn't sound like a gang-run business to me. I grew up around made men and gang members (raised in Long Island one town away from John Gotti Junior's home, and was caught up in gang-related violence in my late teens in the LES), I can generally smell trouble from a mile away. In this situation everything has been clean since the late 90's when the late great rooms were all shut down after operating openly for decades.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now if you told me that you know a club owner and you know for a fact he has never been approached by a more powerful illegal business that wanted in on his funds id probably believe you. i believe tt so maybe im wrong that this doesnt at least sometimes take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, this used to take place. I personally was shaken down when I worked in nightlife twice, one time guns were involved... so it is possible. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it still happens.. that mentality is virtually eliminated from the underworld. In one of my two scenarios I got a personal apology by a local boss the following week, the mafia (again.. there is no such thing as the mafia as we see on TV, its really a loose pyramid scheme run like a real business with very little violence) doesn't tolerate rough stuff anymore and won't work with idiots who operate that way. Its bad for business.

In closing there were two scenarios of local card rooms where I was curious as well. One operated for nearly 40 years and is commonly confused with being a mob joint because of it's name. But if anyone did any investigation with people who have been playing for 20+ years they would learn that that room is the only one legally permitted to operate as a card room due to a statute of limitations loophole. The other scenario was Russian owned, the guys involved all seemed to be bruisers but when I investigated the owner's story panned out, he is a legitimate stock broker by day who has a bad gambling habit that he feeds through the revenues of his club.

PS hope to meet you soon TSMDB.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Weird. All this about the mob and last night an NYC card room gets robbed. Weird.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weird. All this about the mob and last night an NYC card room gets robbed. Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]
could you PM me w/details?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much. All I know is that the club that sounds like it should be a mafia type place got robbed last night.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much. All I know is that the club that sounds like it should be a mafia type place got robbed last night.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'd appreciate a PM on any rumor/hearsay about this.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM

I have nothing important to add but i got a good chuckle out of this one.

[ QUOTE ]
i believe tt so maybe im wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

love ya T!