Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Expert or loser play?

I was playing a small stakes no-limit, when this hand ouccured. I think I played the hand OK(please comment if you disagree) but the BB made a move I had never seen before.
I can't figure out if it was i strong move, or a stupid gambler move whit a negative EV.

I had no read on any of the players, it was my 2nd hand or so on that table.
(0.15|0.30 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

BB ($93.11)
SB ($29.70)
UTG ($20.84)
HERO ($20.37)
MP ($20.37)
Dealer ($11.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)
UTG calls ,30
Hero calls ,30
MP calls ,30
Dealer calls ,30
SB folds
BB calls ,30

I like playing drawing hands in shorthanded nolimit - if it hit I have a great chance to double up

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checked
UTG bet - $0.60
HERO called - $0.60
MP called - $0.60
Dealer folded
BB raised - $1.20
UTG called - $1.20
HERO called - $1.20
MP called - $1.20

Well, I had 3 really good outs, and 3 dangerous outs

** Dealing the turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checked
UTG bet - $0.90
Hero raised - $10.80 Since UTG was betting on the flop, I saw it as save to make a stand, if he had a set or two pair he would probably call. And I wanted a flush draw to fold or pay!
MP folded
BB raised - $20.70 Since he check-raised on the flop I would put him on a set, two pair, weak bluff or weak semibluff (with a flush draw)
UTG folded
HERO went all-in - $8.07

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB shows: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB wins $42.84 from the main pot

I was just amazed - have any of you seen or used this type of play before? Check-raising a weak draw(3 outs) and then punish the other players when it hit.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Expert or loser play?

he accidentally clicked raise instead of whatever he was going to do. I would have gone broke too with that card given he raised the flop. However, I would have folded--KQ isn't folding at these limits much and that eats four of your outs.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 AM

When would you have folded?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have gone broke too

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see.

Anyways, nice bad beat post. You arent getting away from it. Next.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:01 PM

Default This is not a bad beat post!

[ QUOTE ]
nice bad beat post.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not a bad beat post! I was behind all the time.

I just wanted some thoughts on the hand.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 PM

I'd say it's a bad beat post. Villain's play in this hand is terrible. He checkminraised a gutshot, then underbet it when it hit. Tough luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM

that is a terrible play. basically, he is re-opening the action, so that somebody that was slowplaying can wake up and push him out of the pot. i think this might be one of those hands that is good for limit, because the k and q outs are more valuable when you don't have to pay off a big bet when you hit it(but could still be behind).
Old 12-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Ok, while his his play on the flop was questionable, he probably decided a semibluff here would help make him money when he hit one of his 6 outs, and since he had so many checks in front of him this guy likely wasn't worried about losing $1.20 to a reraise or a diamond on the turn. So yea, he made a bad play here w/ negative ev, but where you went wrong was grossly overbetting the turn. UTG bet 90 cents and you raised him $9.90 cents, so when the BB raised you, you had trouble getting off your hand. Also, you made a bad call on the flop, because you shouldn't draw to a the ugly end of a straight draw in a really loose passive game like this, or draw to a straight with a flush draw present
Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM

The flop
Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but where you went wrong was grossly overbetting the turn. UTG bet 90 cents and you raised him $9.90 cents, so when the BB raised you, you had trouble getting off your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree here. The structure of a small stake game is different from medium or high stakes games. The main different is that most players can't fold the hand they where hoping for, when they called preflop. The most money is won with TPTK because, the other players can't lay down a dominated top pair hand.

You can actually call an allin preflop with AK, JJ or even TT, with positive EV in those games!

So the reason why I overbetted the turn was that it is common that a nutflushdraw, two pair, set, str8draw and even TPTK would call.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, you made a bad call on the flop, because you shouldn't draw to a the ugly end of a straight draw in a really loose passive game like this, or draw to a straight with a flush draw present

[/ QUOTE ]
I had tree really good outs, with the possibility of getting one or two players allin!

[ QUOTE ]
in a really loose passive (I would say aggressive) game like this

[/ QUOTE ]
Elaborate. I would never make this kind of play in a tight game. Then I hit my miracle tree outs or the dangerous tree outs, I need a big pay off to call.