Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Way ahead or way behind?

So normally I'd have check-raised the flop, but after a moments consideration I decided to play the hand more passively. With no draws on the flop I decided I would get more value from the hand if I was ahead by allowing him to bluff at me, and save bets if I was behind. Was this the correct play? Villain in this piece was 18/3 but I only had 40 hands on him.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Heroine calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Heroine calls.

Turn: (4.83 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.83 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.83 BB
Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Way ahead or way behind?

I like raising the flop here. I think you would have a better Idea of where you are if you did as well as charging him for any draws.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like raising the flop here. I think you would have a better Idea of where you are if you did as well as charging him for any draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the original post.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't any draws, and she played the hand fine.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:37 AM

If she's going to play it like this isn't a river bet necessary?
Old 04-26-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of idea? are you really going to fold when you get 3-bet? or allow him to get off cheaply with an underpair or have him correctly fold a 3 outer?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If she's going to play it like this isn't a river bet necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Against _some_ players a flop raise for information is actually great, for once.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With no draws on the flop I decided I would get more value from the hand if I was ahead by allowing him to bluff at me, and save bets if I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this makes sense on some sort of level, and I've noticed many more players going with this strategy. However, I absolutely hate the thinking "I could be way ahead or way behind, calling strategy". We didn't get to mid level by not being able to read players and will never get to a higher level by going with this strategy. So, what - you pick off a bluff or lose less bets. Playing against you becomes much more easy when you're on this line. Yes, this is my rant, because I'm the one who's been caught bluffing a few times, because of this new line from reasonably aggressive players. But, there really should be a good reason for calling when you're in position with top-pair great kicker.

Personally, I would pop the turn or the river if I called the flop.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With no draws on the flop I decided I would get more value from the hand if I was ahead by allowing him to bluff at me, and save bets if I was behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this makes sense on some sort of level, and I've noticed many more players going with this strategy. However, I absolutely hate the thinking "I could be way ahead or way behind, calling strategy". We didn't get to mid level by not being able to read players and will never get to a higher level by going with this strategy. So, what - you pick off a bluff or lose less bets. Playing against you becomes much more easy when you're on this line. Yes, this is my rant, because I'm the one who's been caught bluffing a few times, because of this new line from reasonably aggressive players. But, there really should be a good reason for calling when you're in position with top-pair great kicker.

Personally, I would pop the turn or the river if I called the flop.

Cheers
Magi

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is that she is NOT in position. And no, you don't become easier to play against with this line, it becomes harder; your opponent can never tell if you are drawing and when you are drawing they might start giving you free cards.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:50 AM

well, good idea, bad execution (only on the river)

you must bet that river.

-Barron