Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:34 AM

Default WSOP Sattelite-need advice

This is a 3 table live tournament at someone's house. approx 36 players each put up $375 they get T5000 and the blinds start at 50/100 with 20 minute levels. There are no rebuys. The winner gets 10k for an entry into the WSOP and 2k for expenses. 2nd-7th get 5% of any winnings he may get. So basically it's winner take all.

I would appreciate any advice you guys might have about how to approach this event. As you can imagine I really want to win this. Thanks in advance

Rick
Old 03-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: WSOP Sattelite-need advice

the first thing to realize is that the structure is pretty quick. You will need to gamble early. check raise all in with flush draws, etc...
Old 03-19-2005, 02:53 PM

I screwed one thing up. 4 tables not 3.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:40 AM

Don't want to discourage you but this sounds like a bad deal to me. First off you must be fortunate enough to defeat 35 other players in a format which necessitates that you play fast and gamble. Assuming you win, based on what you say in your post you must give away 30% of any WSOP winnings you earn. There are many better deals to be had online. Sorry to play Scrooge.

To answer your question should you decide to play; I agree with Soss, you have to push and gamble. Don't be a survivor, be an accumulator in this format. The only winner is the one that amasses all the chips. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 AM

Assuming you win, based on what you say in your post you must give away 30% of any WSOP winnings you earn.

This doesn't really change EV, just spreads the winnings out a little more. Which will brighten your day if you break the top seven. But I agree that it's overall not the best deal.

-Conor
Old 03-20-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd-7th get 5% of any winnings he may get.

[/ QUOTE ]

that just seems stupid. why should they get money cuz they cant win.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:11 AM

Well to me it seems like a group of friends that want to send someone to the big show. I don't think it is horrible if you are friendly with the group and it is just a way to have some fun. If I had enough friends that interested in poker I'd concider doing something similar. I'd probably opt to go the 12 man route w/ everyone putting up 1k. 6 man tables combined at 6. With 1st getting the seat and the money and 2nd getting 20% of winnings or something similar.

-sloth