Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: John Feeney\'s AQ test on Party

[ QUOTE ]
I think Feeney's AQ test wasn't meant to apply to Party poker. I think it's under the pretense that you assume a player can play until that player dictates otherwise. On Party, it's the polar opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]
Feeney doesn't say that you should fold AQo to an unknown EP raise. He says that if you never fold AQo pf for one raise, you're playing it too much. He doesn't pretend to make assumptions about the general texture of specific games (the Party 15-30, for example) and what your play should be to the unknown in that game, he only outlines a thought process that gives you reasons to fold AQo to one raise at times.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone's a donkey unless their play dictates otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. How true.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 PM

Without information, 3-bet every time. With pokertracker stats, I'll fold to those with vpip 16-18 and pfr smaller than 5. There aren't many of those players, but there are some.

Against a player with vpip over 30ish and pfr smaller than 5, I would probably 3-bet. It should make sense that these guys are raising the same hands that the tight-passive are raising, but I've noticed that this isn't always the case.

I would usually 3-bet a seemingly winning player because these players are raising UTG with a wide-enough range of hands.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Feeney's AQ test wasn't meant to apply to Party poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I recall, the AQ test says that if you automatically play AQo every time against a UTG raiser, you are making a mistake. Just because you think that reraising is the best play against the majority of people (and against unknowns) in a given game in know way means that the test doesn't apply there. It means that you are considering your opponents and how they play before deciding if this hand is playable, and thus you are "passing the test".
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would usually 3-bet a seemingly winning player because these players are raising UTG with a wide-enough range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

PURE COMEDY!!! MEOWY.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Maybe I should have articulated it differently...If he has a VP$IP circa 20, he is fairly tight. Assuming nothing else is out of line (aka PFR=VP$IP, which is a joke), I would strongly consider folding. I guess I should have said VP$IP<20 and PFR<8. I hate cats.

Woof - Jags
Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it is a good player who raised UTG and there are several to act behind me i fold. if it is a "monkey" who raised i 3 bet. if it is an unknown, it would depend on how the table reacts to raises, do they love the action, or do i shut out the rest. but if i do not know if the player or he is a good player, i think folding is correct, your are too easily dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Its a fold if their PFR% is 8% or less and I have a reasonable number of hands with them.
Above 8% it becomes player and position dependant.
I.E. number of limpers, how often the player goes all the way to the river, his agressiveness. My position. etc.
Note: Im not in the game to push every marginal edge.
Playing 4 tables, when you have a very small edge, its often better to just let it go.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

"I would usually 3-bet a seemingly winning player because these players are raising UTG with a wide-enough range of hands."

You really think that a winning player is raising a wide enough range of his hands UTG that AQo is a 3 bet?

If you 3 bet me with AQo every time I raise UTG, me love you long time.

- Jags
Old 02-10-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Feeney's AQ test wasn't meant to apply to Party poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I recall, the AQ test says that if you automatically play AQo every time against a UTG raiser, you are making a mistake. Just because you think that reraising is the best play against the majority of people (and against unknowns) in a given game in know way means that the test doesn't apply there. It means that you are considering your opponents and how they play before deciding if this hand is playable, and thus you are "passing the test".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea if i remember correctly, the time he says to fold is vs an player with similar UTG raising standards as himself.
ie. something like aa-99 ak-a10s, so, while you are tied with AQ, and ahead of aj and a10, you are behind to all other hands, and its hard to tell which time this is. So, its best to just get your money in play in a better spot.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:17 PM

What do you do with AQ off in MP and on button when an unknown UTG raises.

Three bet and three bet.

It mostly depends on how many players there are. If there are seven plus players, and the raiser is your standard tight early raiser (10-15%) I'll usually fold. If he's one of those wild early raisers who raise 20% or more of the time when they open, I'll three bet them. There is a certain class of players who I'll cold call against in the right situation, but usually it's raise or fold, with me folding more often.

With known players, what Pokertracker criteria determine your course of action?

None. Although I use tracker, it's more for stat collection on myself. I just don't think tracker paints an accurate picture on what that particular player is capable of...only gives you averages. Not saying it's not useful to get an idea on other players, just that I would rather rely on current game conditions.

I don't use tracker, so I'd be curious as to how people answer this. Unless you have very specific information, there's just no reason to [censored] with a legitimate UTG raiser. I agree with the cat, tracker is probably better for tracking your own game. I'm sure you can use it to find fish and sharks, but finer granularity than that is gonna be hard to come by.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com