Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:25 PM

Default John Feeney\'s AQ test on Party

Party 15 players:

What do you do with AQ off in MP and on button when an unknown UTG raises.

With known players, what Pokertracker criteria determine your course of action?

And what is your usual course of action against a UTG raiser who appears to be a winning player (I am leaving the description general on purpose).
Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: John Feeney\'s AQ test on Party

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do with AQ off in MP and on button when an unknown UTG raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three bet and three bet.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

None. Although I use tracker, it's more for stat collection on myself. I just don't think tracker paints an accurate picture on what that particular player is capable of...only gives you averages. Not saying it's not useful to get an idea on other players, just that I would rather rely on current game conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
And what is your usual course of action against a UTG raiser who appears to be a winning player (I am leaving the description general on purpose).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's player dependent and game dependent. Factors include but are not limited to what I feel his raising criteria is, what that player thinks of me, overall table makeup and type of players to act behind me and how they would react to my reraise.

But what do I know...I'm just a cat.

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i threebet it unless i have a reason to fold
Old 02-10-2005, 04:00 PM

"i threebet it unless i have a reason to fold"

Exactly...And my most likely reasons would be that pokertracker indicates that the player is tight preflop (say VPIP<20 or so) and he has done nothing to make me think he is playing anything but his normal game. (I say this because pokertracker can be deceiving if taken in a vacuum. I have seen people my PT has labeled as TAA become what I would describe as LAA for a period of time, particularly if they are running bad and/or taking beats.)

- Jags
Old 02-10-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And my most likely reasons would be that pokertracker indicates that the player is tight preflop (say VPIP<20 or so) and he has done nothing to make me think he is playing anything but his normal game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if his normal game is playing 20% of the hands and raising all 20%, you would muck AQ???

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:16 PM

How many people with VP$IP of 20 do you see a PFR of 20?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:22 PM

if it is a good player who raised UTG and there are several to act behind me i fold. if it is a "monkey" who raised i 3 bet. if it is an unknown, it would depend on how the table reacts to raises, do they love the action, or do i shut out the rest. but if i do not know if the player or he is a good player, i think folding is correct, your are too easily dominated.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
None. Although I use tracker, it's more for stat collection on myself. I just don't think tracker paints an accurate picture on what that particular player is capable of...only gives you averages. Not saying it's not useful to get an idea on other players, just that I would rather rely on current game conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that the power of pokertracker to make these decisions for us is overrated. The main problem is that when we make a decision based purely on preflop raise %, we fail to consider that there are some people who raise a very wide range of hands in late position, but have very conservative raising standards up front. I guess if the tools told us only what someone's raise % is from their current position it would be very useful, but you'd need a lot of hands on someone before you had accurate numbers then. I'm not trying to say that the tools are useless because there is clearly going to be some correlation between preflop raise % and UTG raising standards and we should definitely note people with extremely high or low numbers and act accordingly, but I do agree that some people seem to overestimate the sort of percision we have from these tools in making these decisions.

[ QUOTE ]

But what do I know...I'm just a cat.

Meow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good kitty.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:26 PM

My point was wtf does tightness preflop mean when he raised it? Meowhead. I guess I should elaborate for you humans. Would it make a difference if he played 20% of the hands and raised 12% of them or 6% of them? Better?

Meow.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 PM

I think Feeney's AQ test wasn't meant to apply to Party poker. I think it's under the pretense that you assume a player can play until that player dictates otherwise. On Party, it's the polar opposite. Everyone's a donkey unless their play dictates otherwise.

So, 3-bet and 3-bet.

~stephen