Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Bad Beat or unneccesary risk?

Blinds at 15-30. I have 1050 chips.
1st position. I get delt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise 90.
4 callers. Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot is 375. I bet 375. Two callers.
Turn comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Pot is 1500 I push with remaining 585 chips.
One caller with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He hits 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the river and I bust out.

Now my question here is not whether the other guy played his hand right, because he obvouisly should have folded to my pre-flop bet. My question is whether I should play this hand or others (KK, QQ, AKs) this aggressivly this early on in the tournament when you know there are horrible players still around that have that suckout potential.

The pot sized bet on the flop should be enough to scare any flush draws out, so I figured the guy had two pair or a set and when I hit the set of aces I thought that the pot was mine. Any thoughts on this play? Should I bet half of the pot on the flop and then full pot on the turn and then push if another club doesn't come or should I play it like I did? Or should I get my chips in earlier?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Bad Beat or unneccesary risk?

Bad beat. Played it fine, maybe raise more preflop, but fine.
Flop bet is good. You have the nuts on the turn, and with draws out there, anything less than a push is foolish. Don't worry too much about it, he just sucked out on ya.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:39 PM

I wish I had some advice for you, but I think you played this hand fine. Your 3XBB raise pre-flop is OK, your pot bet on the flop is spot-on, and your push to the non-club ace on the turn is the way to go.

Sounds more like a bad-beat story to me, but if you were really looking for advice, you played this hand just fine and the dude sucked out on you.

Cards happen. And, apparently, so do idiots like the Villain in this hand. Don't worry - you'll take every last cent from him next time.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now my question here is not whether the other guy played his hand right, because he obvouisly should have folded to my pre-flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to answer a question that wasn't asked, but villain played the hand fine. QTs is a fine multi-way hand, and his gut shot plus flush gave him (Edit: 13) likely outs. He had the odds to call for every one of his actions.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now my question here is not whether the other guy played his hand right, because he obvouisly should have folded to my pre-flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to answer a question that wasn't asked, but villain played the hand fine. QTs is a fine multi-way hand, and his gut shot plus flush gave him (Edit: 13) likely outs. He had the odds to call for every one of his actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

yes, you played it right. stop whining. :-D
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 PM

bad beat, big deal.

your play was right on
Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 PM

Please point out the -EV call (even given the fact that Hero has a set) and correct the error of my ways.

It is possible for two players to play the same hand right.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please point out the -EV call (even given the fact that Hero has a set) and correct the error of my ways.

[/ QUOTE ] He has 10 outs, not 13, for starters
Old 04-07-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian's preflop call sucks. Even my n00b ass knows that.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:50 PM

Yeah, I suck at counting. I meant to say 12 likely outs, but accidentally double-counted the Jack of Clubs. Even if he has only 10 outs given Hero's set though, it's still a plus EV play:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=882225
pokenum -h ad ah - qc tc -- ks 9c 5c as
Holdem Hi: 44 enumerated boards containing As Ks 9c 5c
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ad Ah 34 77.27 10 22.73 0 0.00 0.773
Qc Tc 10 22.73 34 77.27 0 0.00 0.227

This is almost the worst case scenerio, and he is still getting enough (barely) to make this call. It's close, but not definitely wrong.