Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Why there will never be a rake war (longwinded)

"You may want to consult Mason's Poker Essays where he talks about this."

There is a self-serving/self-deluding nature that one must confront. Pro poker players like to believe they are not bottom feeding scum. Much rationalization goes into many arguments put forth.

I'm content to believe I'm bottom feeding scum. When asked what I do I tell folks I'm a bum and laugh.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a self-serving/self-deluding nature that one must confront. Pro poker players like to believe they are not bottom feeding scum. Much rationalization goes into many arguments put forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I never said that I wasn't bottom feeding scum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just was pointing out the economic nature of a good/bad player ratio.

And I like to use the term "opportunist," thank you very much. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Some points of clarification

I imagine the ideal poker site from their perspective would be one that operates on the Peter Principle. Low-limit grinders and mid-limit pros are screwing everything up by refusing to rise to the level of their incompetence.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A site would rather have 4-6 recreational losing players ("fish") than a single high volume, serious, winning poker player ("shark").

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg... since the average player is worth about $100/month, any knowledgable player can easily determine who many fish they are worth on an absolute basis and then factor in your "ecological" factor!

In the grand scheme of things though, the sharks don't take as much out of the poker economy as I think you believe!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the grand scheme of things though, the sharks don't take as much out of the poker economy as I think you believe!

[/ QUOTE ]
I would love it if you (or someone else) would elaborate on this.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:35 AM

part of it is that poker players only lie when they move their lips.

Also, players have selective memories. They remember the big wins, but forget the losses. Plus, many people are playing low limits. They just aren't taking that much out of the sites. Go through even the players here at two plus two, and you will find many playing fifty cent dollar or one two! They aren't going to break a cardroom.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:06 AM

I for one have never hidden the fact that I'm a lower limit player. That would be disengenuous of me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] 2/4 and 3/6. I will still play 1/2 if there is a juicy bonus to clear. I still like to think I am a decent player though (not world class by any means).
Old 11-06-2005, 02:03 AM

winning high volume players play where they make the most money. If you lose a winner the game becomes that much better if you lose a loser the game become that much worse.

Lose a couple losers and you have to replace them or youll lose a high volume player. Lose a winner and a winner will replace them, you dont have to do anything. If the winner is not replaced, its that much money getting passed around that much longer.

I net $10k/week and pay 5k/week rake I move my play to a new card room who currently have 1000 players 10% playing at any given time. 50% of all players play on average till they lose $300. The site is currently bringing in 10 new players/week. Do the managers see me and think "woohoo 5k extra revenue/week"? if you do youll never be a manager of a poker site if they do they wont be managers for very long.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Me thinks Empire's marketing department sucks donkey balls and don't understand how anyone could come to such a conclusion. Maybe you mean some other department

[/ QUOTE ]

Empire is a 40 person marketing company... with a NET profit of over $1 million/employee, they certainly did something right this year [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Its my belief that they have a better grasp on how to reward players than Party (although Party's massive datamining project is a step in the right direction to understanding their customer base).
Old 11-06-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its my belief that they have a better grasp on how to reward players than Party

[/ QUOTE ]

I ll give them that, thou that doesnt mean that they are great in any sense. I'm still waiting on a site that take real good care of their customers... and yes, taking care of the "old" clients is also marketing...