Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Default How should this have been played?

I will try to give as much information as possible. First time I had played in this home game, no real reads on anyone other than they seemed like solid, by the book type players. Blinds are at 100/200, I have ~2,100. I am in the SB with A,4 diamonds. One player calls, I call, BB doesn't raise. Flop comes 2,8,6 with 2 diamonds. I check, BB checks, next player bets 500 (his stack is about 900 after this 500). After some thinking, I call, leaving me ~1,400, BB folds. Next card is a 9 of hearts and he pushes all in. I have him covered, but will be really low if I don't hit, I have a descent amount already commited, short version....I call, don't hit,he has 6's and 8's, I am down to about 500. Looking back, I should have realized that with a bet of 500 after the flop, he was willing to push it all-in........any suggestions about the mistakes I made, or what I should have done differently?
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: How should this have been played?

[ QUOTE ]
I will try to give as much information as possible. First time I had played in this home game, no real reads on anyone other than they seemed like solid, by the book type players. Blinds are at 100/200, I have ~2,100. I am in the SB with A,4 diamonds. One player calls, I call, BB doesn't raise. Flop comes 2,8,6 with 2 diamonds. I check, BB checks, next player bets 500 (his stack is about 900 after this 500). After some thinking, I call, leaving me ~1,400, BB folds. Next card is a 9 of hearts and he pushes all in. I have him covered, but will be really low if I don't hit, I have a descent amount already commited, short version....I call, don't hit,he has 6's and 8's, I am down to about 500. Looking back, I should have realized that with a bet of 500 after the flop, he was willing to push it all-in........any suggestions about the mistakes I made, or what I should have done differently?
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have folded to his raise of 500. You're only getting 2:1 pot odds, and you're about 5:1 to hit your flush.

I was in the same position as this guy last night...top 2 pair, with a flush and straight draw on board. I bet the pot to protect my hand, unfortunately someone called and got lucky.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 PM

Not as lucky as I did last night.

$1/2 NL, $300 cap, at a homegame.

Hand 1- I had built my stack to up over $200 when I get QTs and raise from late position. Several callers, flop is AsKsQd. I open for 30, button raises me to $130. He had reraised me on a previous hand for an extra $100 and I had dumped my hand, so with that history and the straight and flush draws I figured I had out if I was beaten.... so I reraise all-in.
He quickly called with AQ, but I caught the spade on the turn and it held up for a $500 pot.

Hand 2- I'm in the hole now, had to buy back in. We're four-handed, I get KK and raise preflop from the SB. Flop comes J57 rainbow. The button player in the first hand makes it $15, the next player makes it $30 and I go to $60. BB now makes it $160 to go. I thought for a bit and then called, leaving me with around $50 left. The turn is a blank, the BB puts me all-in, which I have to call. He has 75... but I hit one of my miracle 8 outs on the river for trips and another $400+ pot.

To say this guy was steaming (he'd gotten rivered by a gutshot straight when all of the money went into the middle on the flop) was an understatement.

Lucky lucky me! :P
Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 PM

To the OP,
I don't think you did too much wrong. If anything, I would have semi-bluffed all-in on the flop. He would have called and I would have lost. The same result would have happened, but there would have been more hope to catch my flush with 2 cards to go.

For Lottory Larry, when you flop a flush draw, aren't you 2:1 to hit your flush?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:07 PM

Flush draw odds were around there- it was a pretty easy call in my mind and I confirmed the odds later, but it was lucky to hold up for a big pot.

Kings I thought were a bigger luckout, but even there the odds were close enough on the flop that I didn't make a huge mistake by calling, I think. That was case money, so I was really lucky to suck out on the river.