Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Medium pocket pairs

I have recently begun raising medium pockets pairs (8-T) in middle and late position with no raise in front (as per Lee Jones).

First question is confirming the why. I presume for value?

The big problem for me is, I now realise I have little idea what I am doing post flop when I get 5-6 loose passives along for the ride. Usually you are lucky to gain complete positional advantage, unless you are the button.

Then apart from flopping a set I can't see what flops I can get excited about, overcards have me drawing thin with the likelyhood of at least one player having connected, undercards create straight draw possibilities.

It seems to me I need to be super hand reader to take this hand forward, taking into the account the full gamet of each player tendancies in there current position and at that point in time. Are there any rules of thumb available?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Medium pocket pairs

"Are there any rules of thumb available?"
You don't need any. You have a good hand And position...what more could you want?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 AM

having 5-6 loose passive calling your raise pf is great b/c 1) You've got set value and 2) You've got an equity edge

The key to playing w/many people is to realize that correct play in big pots is most often strait foward. No need to get deceptive or try to bluff the pot b/c these calling stations will just call.

Here are some general guidelines to help. Proper stratagy depends on flop texture and opponents but this should give you a start. If you have an overpair, bet b/c you are most likely ahead. If there is 1 overcard below a T, you should still likely bet b/c you are likely to have the best hand. If there are 2 overs or 1 card above T, you are likely behind to one your 5 opponents and you should prolly check to get a free card. If you flop a strait draw, play as though you have any other strait draw. These rules are not all encompassing, your mileage may vary blah blah blah
Old 10-27-2005, 12:38 AM

Hey your that kid who plays $4-8 at crown...

When were you last there??
Yeah 88-TT is tricky at crown but heres how you have to look at it. These hands are raised because they win more than they lose. Just because the don't win as much as AA-JJ doesn't mean taht the raise is not worthwhile. The raise is for value primarily, and initiative secondly. However this comes with experience. Just know that raising 88 in late position with heaps of callers is not bad.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]