Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Need some Tips for SNG Tournaments

if you like SnG's switch to Poker Stars as well. Their tourney structure is much better.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM

Default General Approach and Starting Hands for \"Phase One\"

Adam, I've been playing $5 and $10 LIMIT SNGs at PokerStars for several months, having moved over from Party, where I started less than a year ago. I like the setup at Stars much better, for the reasons given by others above. I've played 85 events to date (admittedly, not a large sample) with the following results.

1st 19 22.4%
2nd 12 14.1%
3rd 12 14.1%
OTM 42 49.4%

There is probably nothing much new in "my" approach, but it may be of help to you. If I'm off base, I hope those with more experience will correct me.

I believe, as others have suggested elsewhere on 2+2, that results at least as good as mine can be achieved through a relatively formulaic approach. I break the game down into four phases, roughly corresponding to DarkKnight's suggestion in this post.

P1: level 1-3 (early)
P2: level 4+ w/ >5 players(middle)
P3: 4,5 players(bubble)
P4: ITM

Play in P1 should be extermely tight. Premium pairs, AKo, AQo, AJo (maybe) and suited face cards (down to JTs) in EP and MP. I want to open-raise or raise PF almost all the time. If I can't raise it, I don't play it. 1 or 2 off the button and on the button, I will limp with progressively lower PPs down to 22 (on the button), and include the medium suited connectors and suited Aces. I try to limp with a minimum of four in already, and tighten up if the blinds are at all aggressive. I want to flop a hand or draw I can run with. No (or rare) check/call here! With this approach, you will occasionally win a big pot (set, nut flush, etc.), and will rarely suffer significant losses.

I spend the majority of phase one "booking" my opps. (using the "note" facility). After only 85 tournaments, I am already meeting players for the third or fourth time. I have gathered significant notes on their play, but the closed environment of an SNG allows relatively quick assessment of new players. I believe this information is worth considerably more than the couple hundred chips I MIGHT make from jumping into the early action. Let the other trade the chips back and forth, while you watch. Who defends the blinds? Who plays any A (or any K!)? Who chases gut-shot draws HU (they really do!)?

I'm perfectly happy to move to phase two with my starting stack in tact. If I did hit a big hand, fine, I'm in even better shape.

More to come, if this is of use.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:33 PM

Default AleoMagus\' Tips for Beating Party 10+1

Adam, I did some searching on the site, and found a fantastic post that seems to address your need. Check out the post by benfranklin: Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2. I think it's excellent, and will help locate some of your leaks.