Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 AM

Default $2/$5 NL ($300 max) hand at Turning Stone vs. 2+2er

I have AKs in early position. I have raised the previous 3 hands to $13 pre-flop. Table was pretty tight, so people were folding around a lot. I expected someone to raise me one of these times, and my plan was to re-raise here, so I made it $13 again pre-flop. I think there was one caller, and 2+2er who was sb or bb made it $55. I went back on my original plan to re-raise since he had me covered, so I just called.(I had about $400) Heads up to the flop: A-J-10 rainbow. He bet $60. I was worried about JJ or 1010 here, because it was a pretty small bet for the size of the pot. A raise would pretty much commit me to the pot, so I just called. Turn was a 7. He checked, and I checked behind. River was another 7. He bet $100, I called.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: $2/$5 NL ($300 max) hand at Turning Stone vs. 2+2er

I think I hate all of it. I don't even know where to begin.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Really? Strange. Preflop seems standard, flop can be raised, but a call seems fine, turn I would bet but checking can't be too bad, and river may be folded but against most 2+2ers you have to pay them off on the river after checking the turn. This hand seems fairly standard to me, so I'm not sure what you're objecting to so strongly.

Only thing I might do differently is either bet the turn or fold the river but it really depends on the opponent. Would be nice to have a read stronger than "2+2er". If this is BobboFitos, you should re-raise preflop.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? Strange. Preflop seems standard, flop can be raised, but a call seems fine, turn I would bet but checking can't be too bad, and river may be folded but against most 2+2ers you have to pay them off on the river after checking the turn. This hand seems fairly standard to me, so I'm not sure what you're objecting to so strongly.

Only thing I might do differently is either bet the turn or fold the river but it really depends on the opponent. Would be nice to have a read stronger than "2+2er". If this is BobboFitos, you should re-raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, beat me to it. I think it's fine, in fact I play it exactly as OP did. Why do you think betting the turn is better?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM

Board is way too scary to be bluff check/raised and avoids you facing a potential overbet on the river.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is BobboFitos, you should re-raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

-LOL (it wasn't btw, though he was at the table)
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM

i think you could go ahead and reraise preflop, but since you didnt (no big deal) i think posflop is fine... you are probably an underdog to win the pot on the river, but he let you off pretty effing cheap and you do have a pretty hand, look him up.
basically, looks good!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:46 PM

Raising to $13 preflop every hand at 2/5 is standard? Planning to put in the third raise preflop with AK is standard? Calling a very big reraise preflop with AK in hopes of putting in as little money as possible postflop when you hit is standard?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Opening to 13 is fine if not standard, the re-raise is pot-sized and the opponent could be playing back at him. Doesn't mean he has to go broke postflop if he's behind or stop opponent from bluffing if he's ahead.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opening to 13 is fine if not standard, the re-raise is pot-sized and the opponent could be playing back at him. Doesn't mean he has to go broke postflop if he's behind or stop opponent from bluffing if he's ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW 13?? When I was at the table it was really loose preflop. Were you there with the guy wearing the crazy pink striped shirt? Also, a guy called Bobbo's PFR to 35 with K3o and doubled through Mr. Fitos on a 5 6 7 board. Needless to say, this game was softer than the 100NL IMO, which is full of a bunch of under bankrolled weak-tight college kids. The 2/5 game players like to gamb0000l. You probably caught the game at its best, or I could have caught it at its worst.