Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Redskins vs Giants

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah baby. Skins over the Giants. Eli sucks away from home as predicted. The skins D shutdown Tiki as well. All around great game to go to. A win at Philly and we are in. Should be an easier win than the last two seeing they are going up against Philly's practice squad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind the Jints were badly banged up in this game. Yes, the Skins outplayed the Giants, and no, I'm not going to say that they wouldn't have won if the officiating had been better (the officiating was awful, and the mistakes heavily favored the skins), but it's remiss to just ignore the fact that the Giants are missing a number of their best players.

I just wouldn't get too frothy over a home win in a must-win against the giants in the condition they're in. They're playing without their top two offensive linemen and their top two linebackers, plus they're missing a starting defensive tackle and a starting cornerback. I would say those injuries are fairly significant.

If the giants have at least some of those injured guys on the field and the officiating is quasi-decent, the game would have ended differently.

We saw what happened to the Skins when they took on the Giants with most of their lineup healthy. It was an absolute massacre.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Redskins vs Giants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And also . . . look: the Redksins did outplay the Giants today, but the officiating was very poor. I haven't complained about lopsided refereeing against the Giants since that [censored] [censored] pass interference call in that playoff game against the Rams in '89, but this was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hadn't complained about officiating in 16 years, but chose to do so in a game they lost by 15 points? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A few people have said stuff like this, and I don't understand it. The positions are not mutually exclusive. Yes, the Redskins handed the Giants their heads yesterday, and yes the officiating did not cost the Giants the game. But the officiating against them was absolutely atrocious. There's no conflict between the two. As long as a Giants' fan acknowledges the obvious -- that the Redskins beat the crap out of the Giants, just as the Giants did to them several weeks back -- there is no shame in complaining about the brutal officiating in my opinion.

Personally, I think Walt Coleman is a bad referee to begin with; I said so much to my father-in-law at the beginning of the game. And he didn't let me down. I just wish the league would do something to improve the officiating -- and I don't know what that is, except to get rid of these ridiculous roughing the passer calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think refs screw up every game. Unless it makes a difference in the outcome, I don't understand the point of complaining about it.
I agree that Walt Coleman sucks. I think he counts against the Patriots salary cap.