Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Default FF Finals: Would you make a deal?

$1600 is on the line in my CBSSportsline fantasy football league. I'm in the finals. I'm thinking about making a deal, but think I have an edge. What do you think? This is standard scoring, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2WRs, 1 TE, 1 DS.

His starters last week were (and I don't expect him to change much):

Brady, Tom QB NE @NYJ
Bettis, Jerome RB PIT @CLE
Johnson, Rudi RB CIN BUF
Branch, Deion WR NE @NYJ
Harrison, Marvin WR IND @SEA
Heap, Todd TE BAL MIN
Wilkins, Jeff K STL SF
Steelers, DST DST PIT @CLE

My starters will be:

Vick, Michael QB ATL @TB
Alexander, Shaun RB SEA IND
Moats, Ryan RB PHI @ARI
Driver, Donald WR GB CHI (I may start Keyshawn Johnson vs. Carolina instaead)
Smith, Rod WR DEN OAK
Clark, Dallas TE IND @SEA
Feely, Jay K NYG @WAS
Panthers, DST DST CAR DAL

If I make a deal, I'll likely just accept 50%.
Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: FF Finals: Would you make a deal?

I'd try to convince him that you have the advantage and talk him into a 900/700 type deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd prolly take the 800/800 deal anyway tho. Reduces variance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM

Tough matchups on both sides. Rudi versus the Bills is a fantastic matchup for your opponent, but Brady + Branch at the Jets not so much. I think you do have him outmatched but it could be close: no one can really predict what SA's going to do against the Colts D, and i doubt Moats has a huge game against Arizona.

I'd try to make some sort of deal and then play for a more reasonable amount. Not sure what the payout is between 1st and second, but if its just $1600 for first (and nothing for second), something like $600 each + play for $400 should be a reasonable split - you've got an edge I think in playing for that last $400 but you've guaranteed yourself a solid $600 either way.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Refuse any deal worse than 1000 to 600. Keep Donald Driver there. I think you will come out ahead.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM

I would agree with doing a deal and playing for the rest that's left over - I think your team has the edge here, but anything can happen and if that money means something to you, good to get some in your pocket now.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd try to make some sort of deal and then play for a more reasonable amount. Not sure what the payout is between 1st and second, but if its just $1600 for first (and nothing for second), something like $600 each + play for $400 should be a reasonable split - you've got an edge I think in playing for that last $400 but you've guaranteed yourself a solid $600 either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its a stoopid CBS league where winner takes all. NEVER EVER enter one of these leagues -- they are -EV in a big way -- I'm just thankful I have a chance to make my $250 back.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 PM

Wha? I think your opponent has the edge here by quite a bit. I'd definitely work something out with the guy.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM

Yeah that sucks. I'd definately do the $600 split now, and play for the last $400. Winner takes $1000, second gets $600.

Maybe $500/$500 and play for $600, so you're guaranteed double your buyin. This payout structure sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 07:10 PM

I agree with everyone who said do a partial split and play for the rest. I don't think you have much of an edge, if any at all.

On a related note, unless this is a 20 team league I don't see how either of your teams made it to the finals. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with everyone who said do a partial split and play for the rest. I don't think you have much of an edge, if any at all.

On a related note, unless this is a 20 team league I don't see how either of your teams made it to the finals. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My team led the league in scoring. I lost Bulger and Westbrook during the year. I made a key trade in midseason that essentially got me to where I am: trading Brady and Stallworth for Vick and Driver. Dallas Clark and Carolina won the game for me last week (and I played Gerrard over Vick thankfully).

My opponent beat the 2nd highest scorer in the league, who got screwed because Ladanian had his worst fantasy day. FF is tough stuff.