Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-27-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Self discipline techniques

What a crazy game poker is, it tends to draw the crowd who has the least self discipline, yet it is a game where self discipline is one of the most important skills required to succeed in it.

My question is for any experienced players who used to struggle with discipline when they started, have you used any techniques that help you play your best game as much as possible?

Im struggling a lot recently with playing solid poker because of my discipline (im WAY too agressive post flop) and I need to find a way to fix this but am having trouble.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Self discipline techniques

Tried and true method for internet players:

Play naked. Have a strong elastic next to your computer.
Whenever you make an idiotic play...

Snap yourself in the nads real hard with the elastic.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tried and true method for internet players:

Play naked. Have a strong elastic next to your computer.
Whenever you make an idiotic play...

Snap yourself in the nads real hard with the elastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Honey what was that noise?"
:groan:

even better

"... and that's why I am infertile."
Old 12-27-2005, 02:27 PM

Start with working on your issues. What issues?

Too much aggression post flop often leads to huge avoidable losses....often followed immediately by:

* self-loathing,
* self-distrust,
* disappointment,
* guilt, and
* regret.

Perhaps you can be a great player, yet for some reason you always seem to arrange opportunities to feel these emotions very intensely, at the poker table, postflop.

Poker forces either intense awareness or intense denial.

Pick one.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:32 PM

When I'm working on a leak while playing online I'll put a sticky note to re-enforce what I'm trying to fix. For example I recently had a bad run of beats and lost confidence which worsened the situation and make me play a weak/tight style without realizing it. I took a break to get regrouped and study my PT stats. When I got ready to hit the tables again, I put notes like "Be Aggressive", "Raise" etc on the monitor.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Just focus on making the best decision possible with the information you have. Get your money in with the best hand. I have these same problems you speak of online. I am less disciplined online and often push my chips in when someone comes over the top of me. I find it helped me I took a little extra time to make a decision when faced with a raise online.

Do you have more trouble online or live?? When I play live for some reason I am able to make bigger laydowns, usually from the tells that I pickup from people and instinctively I have a better feeling of just "knowing" I am beat.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 PM

There is no perception without attention. Your chosen forms of attention include: writing sticky notes, taking a break and studying PT stats.

There is no doubt you gain brand new insight and perceive brand new dimensions of the game when you do this. Attention greatly increases perception.

All of this effort costs you something. That's why it's called "paying" attention.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Honestly? Faith. Pure, blind faith you usually only see in religious fanatics. When I first started playing seriously and studying I suffered what turned out to be the ass end of variance. Had I not blindly put my faith in the 2+2 authors I'm sure I would have started doubting the viability of thier strategies.

Now that I have a couple years experience, I look at my results and remind myself how I gained all of that success. Risky donk plays then seem silly.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Too much aggression post flop often leads to huge avoidable losses....often followed immediately by:

* self-loathing,
* self-distrust,
* disappointment,
* guilt, and
* regret.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Poker Jedi seeks not these things.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Meditation.