Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Default A situation I loathe

Villian seems LAGgish and on the decent side. I had gotten played back at twice in the last few orbits at the table. I've been a PFR/CB machine more or less. First time I got played back at, I called a shorties 2x flop overbet and my TP got sucked out on by shortie's third pair. Second time I folded when same shorty called my flop bet, then overbet-pushed the turn when I flopped TP, but an over came on the turn. The shortstack is a different player than villian in this hand.

UTG/Villian ($280)
Hero ($270)

$1/$3 NLHE Full Table, 6-handed

Preflop: Hero is MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
Villian calls $3, Hero raises to $13, 4 folds, Villian calls $10.

Flop: ($28.50) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Villian checks, Hero bets $24, Villian raises to $72, Hero...
Old 12-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: A situation I loathe

where do you play 1-3?

The hands your worried about here are J10,44 and AXc. I think if he's LAG, 1010,JJ, are raised before the flop. It's difficult to imagine him limping and calling a raise with J10 UTG, so i'm not even too sure that's reasonable.

I think i just call and evaluate the turn. If it's a brick and he checks, I may let myself get trapped here. I think I'm gonna pay of a LAG who thinks I'm just making continuation bets. I'm probably putting it all in on the turn, hoping he's keeping the pressure on.

If I think he's testing me, I let him keep throwing chips at me. Hard to say whether he's got it or not here, but I think calling makes the most out of bluffs, and maybe lets you get away if a club hits?

That or just fold the flop. I probably in reality fold the flop, because I don't want to deal with the situation.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM

eeew. . .not enough info though to really call I don't think. I probably fold the flop. If I had more info on the villain, texture of table, really thought he was capable of playing back at a continuation bet I might continue.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian seems LAGgish and on the decent side. I had gotten played back at twice in the last few orbits at the table. I've been a PFR/CB machine more or less. First time I got played back at, I called a shorties 2x flop overbet and my TP got sucked out on by shortie's third pair. Second time I folded when same shorty called my flop bet, then overbet-pushed the turn when I flopped TP, but an over came on the turn. The shortstack is a different player than villian in this hand.

UTG/Villian ($280)
Hero ($270)

$1/$3 NLHE Full Table, 6-handed

Preflop: Hero is MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
Villian calls $3, Hero raises to $13, 4 folds, Villian calls $10.

Flop: ($28.50) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Villian checks, Hero bets $24, Villian raises to $72, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Villan assumes that your range includes more missed overcards than made hands. If you are tight he could probably pull this move profitably even if he normally has nothing. Some of the time he is going to have a monster, sometimes flush draw / straight draw, sometimes nothing.

I would call here and push a bricked turn. Any straight or flush card and I bail. The stacks here don't give you much chance to move on the turn other than all in. If he hit a set his laggishness got him paid off, and NH.

EDIT: Against good lag I fold here. Against party donk 6-max lag I do what I suggested above. He could also have TJ here a big portion of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 PM

I think my equity here sucks, and implied odds suck are working against me. I fold this without a special read, like he's from Italy or something. Call all italians.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 PM

Fold. No way you can figure out if your hand is good without putting your whole stack in the pot.

You're most likely barely ahead or way behind.

Reverse implied odds are a bitch.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold. No way you can figure out if your hand is good without putting your whole stack in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Let me get this straight. In a six handed game, we raise AJ and get called (not raised) by a LAG in the blinds. We flop top pair on a drawish board, make a continuation bet, get checkraised (which does not always signal strength on the flop from a LAG), piss our pants, and automuck. No [censored] way is this my default line. I fold here against some opponents, but not most LAGs, especially bad ones. You will see all kinds of crap here from LAGs -- draws, AK, QJ, AT, KJ, air. Wayfare's line looks OK to me, and I am not afraid to stick it in on the flop against some people some of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
where do you play 1-3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious about this too. Online?