Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Worst play you\'ve ever lost to in a home game...

Bad Play questions are tough to evaluate.

I remember one game where I had been getting no cards, and my brother had basically been knocking the crap out of my stack all night.

On one hand, he mini-raised (which I took as weakness based on his play that evening) and I decided to make a stone cold all-in bluff (with something like 8-4o), which he immediately called and flipped over his pair of kings.

To make a long story short -- I drew 4 to the flush and doubled up.

Now, a hand like this -- "My KK got beat by 8-4 hitting 4 to the flush" could easily make this thread of worst play in a home game. However, under this situation, it was really just a bad read in a loose game (with bragging rights much more important than the minimal stakes we were playing for), and I got incredibly lucky.

So, I really don't think you can say any one hand is that horrible, absent context.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:51 PM

I agree that sometimes it's subjective, and I think people making raises with crap are much harder to ridicule than those calling with crap.

Worst call I've ever seen: 9 person home tourney, my brother is on the button and raises to 4xBB, both blinds call. SB bets out pot, BB calls, my brother goes allin, both players call.

The flop is A-T-2 rainbow. My brother has AT, SB has T2, BB has Q5 offsuit. BB wasn't shortstacked, and neither were either of the other two players. BB didn't win, but if it had come 55 or QQ or JK or 34, that would have been the worst play to win that I can imagine.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:03 AM

Not a beat or bad play as such but funny hand.

4 ppl home game $20 tournie, winner takes all. 2 good players (me and dealer), 2 donators.

First hand it ends up all in on a low rainbow flop with QQ vs KK vs AA. AA holds up (I was KK).

Dealer was the other good player, leaving him heads up after 1 hand with a 3-1 chip deficit to overcome vs a muppet.
Interestingly dealer's T2 would have won the hand but would have probably lost him the use of his legs!!

Needless to say the dealer went on to win it.

Straight game btw.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:33 AM

This hand didn't happen to me, but it was astounding. This was a low-stakes home NLHE tournament (7 players) last weekend. The buy-in is $5 and players can make 2 rebuys.

I don't remember the exact stack sizes, but we were deep enough that it was not "push-n-pray" time yet.

We see a flop with Loose Calling Station Guy and Older Guy involved in the hand. Flop comes AK2 with one diamond (the King). Older Guy goes all-in. Loose guy thinks for a while and calls off most of his stack. Older Guy shows AK for top two pair, Loose Guy shows T3 of diamonds. Wow, a total donk call. Turn is a 4 of diamonds, giving Loose Guy a straight draw and flush draw. He makes both by catching the 5 of diamonds on the river and a REBUY! is made by Older Guy.

We were hassling Loose Guy about this hand the next day. His justification was that he put Older Guy on a bluff (Older Guy had been caught bluffing earlier).

I have taken a few of my home game buddies to poker rooms but since Loose Guy is my friend, I will never take him with me to a B&M poker room.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm just not seeing it but what's wrong with calling a 3x BB raise with A-4 in a 4-handed game when it's small blind/big blind. Would you fold this playing heads-up? What were the relative stacks/blinds at when this happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds were 50/100, and the stack sizes were probably still right around 1500 apiece. I had a little more than 1500 and was left with 75 after the hand, but not many chips had moved, as it was only level II of our tourney. We were about 20 minutes in. SB completes, and I raise the 200 pot to 500, which he needs to put in 300 to call.

I can see your point, but I was giving him about 1.7 to 1 odds on his call when he needed 2 to 1, yes? Straight up mathematically speaking, it seems like a mistake, although I guess not a huge one, and obviously one that a loose/agressive player is willing to make. But it seems to me that for so early in the tourney, A 4 off is garbage, and you've gotta think your only hope is hitting one of the remaining three aces (if even that) or 2 pair. Of course the straight or 4-card flush are possibilities, but they're exremely minute.

If I'm missing something, by all means let me know. I'm still learning.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One time I was playing 6-handed and this guy in MP 5x's it. I call with my 54 in position against him because I'm a semi-loose, solid player. The flop comes 544 so I decide to slow play it... this guy bets fully TWO THIRDS of my stack so what the hell, I sure can't call... I push allin. He calls me and manages to hit his A7o with runner runner SEVENS.

dammit.

[/ QUOTE ]

vvnh
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 PM

Your talking about the odds he needed to call if he knew what your hand was. This is a 4 player tournament so raising standards have to be more liberal then in a full ring game and it down to just SB/BB so it's effectively heads-up for the hand. Unless your raising standards from the BB in this situation are only pairs and big aces then he probably figured there was a good chance he had the best hand.

When you checked behind him on the flop he figured you didn't have an ace and after betting 400 on the turn and being raised all-in he had only to call 700 to win a pot of 1800 chips which is 2.5 to 1 on his call. I'm sure if he's as wild and loose as you say then that's more then enough.

I'm not saying this guy hasn't put some terrible beats on you in the past but I don't see anything out of line with his play on this hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 AM

My favorites are when people misread the board and still come out on top...

I check-raise my fishy friend all-in on the turn with 97o on a rainbow board of 8865 and he immediately calls with his 65o for "two pair: sixes and fives." "No, that's eights and sixes with a five kicker." Oops. Good thing he caught a 5 on the river to fill up.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your talking about the odds he needed to call if he knew what your hand was. This is a 4 player tournament so raising standards have to be more liberal then in a full ring game and it down to just SB/BB so it's effectively heads-up for the hand. Unless your raising standards from the BB in this situation are only pairs and big aces then he probably figured there was a good chance he had the best hand.

When you checked behind him on the flop he figured you didn't have an ace and after betting 400 on the turn and being raised all-in he had only to call 700 to win a pot of 1800 chips which is 2.5 to 1 on his call. I'm sure if he's as wild and loose as you say then that's more then enough.

I'm not saying this guy hasn't put some terrible beats on you in the past but I don't see anything out of line with his play on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points. Thanks for your insight.

I agree that past the preflop call all his moves were justified. I served it right up to him, and bailed on the hand myself because I was so disgusted.

I assure you, though, that he wasn't smart enough to even try and figure out what I was raising with. He just spite-called with what he knew was a garbage hand, hoping to do exactly what he did.

Maybe I'm just disgusted because he always makes stupid sh*t marginal plays like this and seems to come out on top.

We play tomorrow night. I'll see to it he doesn't beat me again and all will be well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 PM

This play astounded me, and caused me to change my style for the night (went on to with the 11 person tourney).

I had KJc on the button, so I raised 3bb before the flop. All fold except one caller.

Flop comes TcQcx so I've got an open ended straight draw and a flush draw. He checks, so I bet about 1.5 times the pot, hoping to just take it down there. He calls.

Turn card is a blank, he checks again, so I make one more attempt at a semi-bluff, betting 2x the pot. He calls. River was another blank.

He checks, I check.

He's got pocket 8's.

After seeing me bet pre-flop, make fairly large bets on a flop with two overcards and a turn with a blank, he calls me to the showdown...with pocket 8's. How could he have thought they'd hold up? Bottom line: he didn't think. He would have played those to the end no matter what I bet.

My lesson: Screw any sort of bluffing or sizing my bets to drive people out of the hand. I just limped in on good and great hands and hoped to connect on the flop (almost nobody but me was raising pre-flop). If I did connect, I bet 'em for value. I had crap cards for a long time, but when I started to connect, I cleaned up.