Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 05:21 PM

Default QQ facing LRR

After playing a home game at my friend's house, I was sweating him in a $100 MTT on Empire. About 100 players entered. He was big stack at the table after tripling up with AKh. He had around 2900 chips. Villain is another big stack with around 1800. I'll try to get the hand details as close as possible.

Its early on, Blinds are 10/20, Hero is CO with QQ

Villain calls, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises to 40</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises to 250</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, <font color="red">Villain raises to 1800 all in</font>, 4 folds, Hero?

Well this situation sucks. He's getting a decent price, but this looks too much like aces or kings. Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: QQ facing LRR

I usually tend to call in these spots but I may be wrong. You'll see 77-JJ AQ-AK alot more than Aces or Kings IMO. Plus I like having a big stack this early on.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 PM

He has a pretty dominant stack still even if he folds. With this great a chip position early on I'd fold. If I had any read on the villain that hinted at donkishness I'd call.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After playing a home game at my friend's house, I was sweating him in a $100 MTT on Empire. About 100 players entered. He was big stack at the table after tripling up with AKh. He had around 2900 chips. Villain is another big stack with around 1800. I'll try to get the hand details as close as possible.

Villain calls, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises to 40</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises to 250</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, <font color="red">Villain raises to 1800 all in</font>, 4 folds, Hero?

Well this situation sucks. He's getting a decent price, but this looks too much like aces or kings. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

call, he has AK.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:45 PM

haven't read thread yet...

this is one of the very few times i'd fold QQ pre-flop.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had any read on the villain that hinted at donkishness I'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely agree.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Oops I misread, thought it said he was big stack at final table and this was just earlier on with a average stack. I still call though
Old 08-15-2005, 06:06 PM

With less in the pot, it looked like an easy fold to me. But if he wins the hand, he is really in control of the table with a lot of chips. There is a lot of dead money out there to win.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is 680 in the pot when villian goes all in, hero must call 1530 to win 680+1780=2460, or 1.6:1.

Though not huge odds, you have to consider that hero will have a huge chip lead over the table.

I think I call here, but I really think this needs a read of villian and (more importantly) the table. Would it be feasable for villian to expect a raise behind? It seems to me villian may be trying to squeeze hero, as there's a big pot to win. Personally I would have raised more than hero, but whatever.

I really think I have to call here, if I get shown AA or KK so be it, but that's so rare I have to take my chances. Villian could just as easily have AJ, AQ, or AK, or any number of squeeze play hands.

Even if hero loses he still has 1100.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:31 PM

I agree...call. More often than not in this situation early on in a MTT, you'll usually see A-K or A-Q along with any PP. It's a suckout possibility for sure, but it's also an opportunity to build a large stack early in the tournament.