Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Books for 5/6 player games

Which book would be recommended that covers short-handed games? Do any books cover a standard pre-flop strategy? I understand that post-flop is a lot more about feel and your opponents, and I'm doing okay in that regard. I just feel like I might be playing too many hands out of position and maybe not being aggressive enough with certain starting hands.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Books for 5/6 player games

theory of poker(TOP) has a great shorthanded section in it. i dont know of any just shorthanded books.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:37 PM

someone told me that reading hellmuths limit section (intended for full ring games) might help. ive never read the book of course so i dont know. he said something about how phil neglects suitedness and ranks 77 as the 10th best hand, sounds like shorthanded play to me. i also dont play shorthanded btw, so my opinion is somewhat crap. does anybody who has the book have some opinion on this? i am looking to move up to the 5/10 6 max tables in a few months so i am interested in learning better shorthanded strategy.

again- I dont own the book, have never read it, am proud of those two facts
Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM

SSH says count a six handed game like a full ring where there first 3-4 folded. I think this is decent advice, and probably the best I have seen written.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:46 AM

I second this.

If you have solid play based on position in a full game, playing what you would play in mid-late position in a sh game you should loosen up perfectly enough to adjust to the fewer players.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:13 PM

Guys:

Just wondering - do you interpret this as saying that you should raise instead of limp when you are UTG with something like JTs?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 09-01-2004, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SSH says count a six handed game like a full ring where there first 3-4 folded. I think this is decent advice, and probably the best I have seen written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then, I guess the basic concept is that 6 handed is much closer to 10 handed than say 1/2 handed, in terms of strategy and hand selection? I've been using my regular 10 handed starting hands, slowly starting to loosen up as I get more experience.