Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Couple of Critical Tournament Hands - Let me have it

Prima 15+1, 2,500 guar.
--------------------------------------

Hand 1: - Playable Blind? 500/1000

BigStackButton [37,000], Raises 4,000
HeroInBB [12,000], Calls 3,000 w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Dealing Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

HERO bets $2,000.00
VILLIAN raises for $4,000.00
HERO folds

DuffDeal shows cards

Hand 2. Troubles with Smallish Pockets in the Cutoff

Blinds 1000/2000
Folded around to CO + 1

HERO [37,000]
7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - Raises to 6,000

Cutoff Calls 6,000 - Hero thinks AK here?
BB Calls 4,000

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets 6,000
Cutoff raises to 12,000
BB folds
Hero calls 6,000

Dealing Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks
Cutoff pushes for 37k
Hero folds
Old 07-22-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Couple of Critical Tournament Hands - Let me have it

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: - Playable Blind? 500/1000

BigStackButton [37,000], Raises 4,000
HeroInBB [12,000], Calls 3,000 w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Dealing Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

HERO bets $2,000.00
VILLIAN raises for $4,000.00
HERO folds

DuffDeal shows cards

[/ QUOTE ]
What did Villain show? Regardless, I don't like Hero's play here. Despite the ace on board you can't fold KQ on the AK6 flop, considering your stack size. I would have reraised all-in preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 1000/2000
Folded around to CO + 1

HERO [37,000]
7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - Raises to 6,000

Cutoff Calls 6,000 - Hero thinks AK here?
BB Calls 4,000

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets 6,000
Cutoff raises to 12,000
BB folds
Hero calls 6,000

Dealing Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks
Cutoff pushes for 37k
Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably play this the same way, although there's a good argument for just folding on the flop after being raised.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Villain showed AQs, I actually played the whole game with villain (same table all the way to final) and in retrospect I guess that I had more of a read. He was playing very solidly and not risking his chips without premium hands. and the raise was more than the standard raise.

Given that would you fold or reraise all in? I think I pay too much attention to the position people raise from rather than who actually is raising.

[ QUOTE ]

DuffDeal shows cards

What did Villain show? Regardless, I don't like Hero's play here. Despite the ace on board you can't fold KQ on the AK6 flop, considering your stack size. I would have reraised all-in preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Old 07-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Your second hand looks good..

First hand looks awful.. You gotta either fold or push there preflop, (I prefer fold, K-Q doesnt beat too much that'll call your all in).
Old 07-22-2005, 05:05 PM

I agree, first hand was pretty bad. You put 40% of your chips in and folded. Either all-in or fold on that one.

I don't really like the second either. Preflop was fine, but I'd get out once I was raised there with that hand. You've got 2 cards to go, out of position against a bigger stack. Not good, forget the cards, that's not a winning spot to be in.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was playing very solidly and not risking his chips without premium hands. and the raise was more than the standard raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given this and the fact that he was on a big stack, I think you have very little FE if you push preflop, which leaves you with a coin flip or a dominated hand.

A better option is the ol' stop and go. Call preflop and then push in the rest of your stack on the flop. Your pot sized bet is much more likely to get villain to fold on the flops that miss him, which is generally good for you.