Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Default 2 hands against the same player, wondering how I should approach these

Villain is 66.5/15/1.4 over 300 datamined hands, no reads yet.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Where should I fold a hand like this, if at all?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Once again, I need direction with stuff like this in 6 max. Full ring I can be pretty okay with folding AK UI more often than not and still make money with it but I'm not so sure at 6-max.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: 2 hands against the same player, wondering how I should approach these

Mr Wilson,

Hand 1,

If the BB is really loose then depending on the SB I might open limp this. Most other posters will probably disagree with me but I'm pretty sure there is an example in HEFAP that advocates open limping with Ax against a very loose blind.

Given how it played out I think its fine.

Hand 2

It's very dependent on what the annoying flop donk means. Given that you raised the flop I would bet the turn and hope he folds a 4 or a 5 and then check the river.

In your hand the flop raise and turn check really signals what your hand is so I don't mind a call on the end but the pot is quite small so I think a fold is probably correct.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: 2 hands against the same player, wondering how I should approach these

hand one is a really easy call down

if youre not going to call the river you should fold the turn

if you think your hand is good enough to continue in hand two, just calldown. raising lets him bloat the pot when he has a hand and sometimes bluff u off the best hand.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Hand 1.
I don't know which one is better. Call or fold. How many times are you good here against a flop check-raise. I think fold looks like the best play anyway.

Hand 2.
Bet the turn one last time. The flop donk bet tells us he has something. If you bet the turn there's a chance that he will fold, plus you get a free showdown. The way you played it, it costs the same, but I think you are calling with the worst hand most of the times.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the turn there's a chance that he will fold

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy is never folding the best hand at any point in this hand
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the turn there's a chance that he will fold

[/ QUOTE ]

this guy is never folding the best hand at any point in this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there's no point in calling the river.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: 2 hands against the same player, wondering how I should approach t

[ QUOTE ]
hand one is a really easy call down

if youre not going to call the river you should fold the turn

if you think your hand is good enough to continue in hand two, just calldown. raising lets him bloat the pot when he has a hand and sometimes bluff u off the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain what makes hand 1 an easy calldown. I agree that I should have probably called the river after calling the turn, but I'm not sure I should have called the turn at all. The idea at the time was that I still had 3 aces and a gutshot to call on the turn. I guess 7 outs aren't quite enough to call that turn and fold the river, especially since the aces might not be clean outs.

In hand 2 and hands similar to it, my problem is that I don't know when my hand is good or not. It seems like a guessing game for the most part, except that I always seem to get it wrong. What goes into the decision process for you when faced with a situation like that?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:05 PM

depending on the villain in hand 1 i like a turn raise.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain what makes hand 1 an easy calldown.

[/ QUOTE ]

the flop is really ragged and this guy is an aggressive retard. the flush draw being out also helps your hand

[ QUOTE ]
I guess 7 outs aren't quite enough to call that turn and fold the river, especially since the aces might not be clean outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
giving yourself credit for 7 outs while you're playing is a leak

[ QUOTE ]
What goes into the decision process for you when faced with a situation like that?

[/ QUOTE ]
how the opponent plays, how drawy the flop is, how ragged it is. you're definently just guessing but the more you play the better at guessing you'll be here