Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Evaluate my flop reraise

Party PLO100

I ($77) hold in my hand 9987ss in the BB. UTG ($200+) calls, folds around to the button($100+) who minraises to $2, I call, UTG calls.

Flop comes 972. I have top set and check with the intention of smooth calling or possibly min-raising if UTG makes the bet and button calls.

UTG bets pot ($10 pot now), button reraises another $5 ($20 pot now). I now have the option of reraising and throwing down $40, leaving me with $37 and either winning or creating a huge pot.

Whats the best move here?

Results below:
--------------------------------------------------

I reraised to $40, both called. Turn came a 6. I bet my last $37 (wise?), both call. River is a K. UTG takes it down with AKT8 for the straight, button had 22xx.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Evaluate my flop reraise

Forgot the results
Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Your play is standard. The 6 is obviously the worst card for you, but you are pot committed and have plenty of odds to draw out. I think check-call on the turn is also reasonable.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 PM

C/Ring the pot is fine. I probably would have led for the pot, unless I knew that one of the two players behind was more than 80% likely to bet.

[ QUOTE ]
I have top set and check with the intention of smooth calling or possibly min-raising if UTG makes the bet and button calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is troubling. If you are checking here with anything other than the intention of CRing the pot, you are making a mistake. That flop hits a lot of hands that people like to play, (i.e. middle connectors) and giving a free card or great odds to see the turn is going to end up costing you in the long run.

The turn is a crappy card for you, but given your stack size, leading is best. You have some fold equity if no one hit their hand and are priced in against the made straight anyway.

Your play was fine. The result sucks. Keep playing with UTG, as he is a complete donk if he didnt have a flush draw as well on the flop.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 PM

You definately shouldn't be smoothcalling OOP, if you were on the button or LP you could consider calling if it was bet/raise to you, but you should mostly be throwing the hammer down [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 05:52 PM

i was thinking in terms of smooth calling the flop to set up a monster checkraising the turn.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was thinking in terms of smooth calling the flop to set up a monster checkraising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck! You are OOP with 6 outs to improve on the flop and any action meaning that you have a) fewer improving cards or b) someone on a draw making any card from 5 to J (other than 9 & 7) a scare card. You have 1 blocker and a backdoor redraw.

So, you have a 50% chance of having to make a tough decision or a foolish decision on the turn. Why do with to yourself?

Even if a "blank" falls on the turn, it could put a flush draw on the board and if the villian picks up flush outs to go along with his straighting outs, you are much more unlikely to push him out of the pot, even with a CR and especially since your stack isn't that deep.

If you are in position, you at least have the information gained from others action. In this case, you don't. Get your money in with positive equity and you will be a long-term winner. Allow others to do it in your pots and you will be a long-term loser.