Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Default how do I change my IP address?

Is there a way to change your IP address? I have a cable modem.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: how do I change my IP address?

Usually your cable modem will get the same ip address even when you renew. Here are the steps

Go to run, type command hit ok
Opens a dos prompt:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
and for help just type ipconfig ?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Actually on XP, 2000 or NT, you should type "cmd" not "command" "command" will work, but it runs command.com, a DOS program that is included for DOS compatability (DOS programs may need command.com to open a shell or run DOS commands). Some features, like using the arrow keys to recall and edit commands won't wokr with command.com. "cmd" runs cmd.exe, a Windows console mode program that looks like (but really isn't) a DOS prompt.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to change your IP address? I have a cable modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which IP are you talking about, assuming you have a broadband router of some kind?

If you mean your PC IP, then follow the post that has already been made.

If you mean the IP of the cable modem. Call your ISP and ask for a new one. Many cable companies use DHCP reserves and have to make a change on their DHCP server to change it. They may or may not change it for you.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 PM

Yeah most Cable companies do automatic DHCP assignment which means renewing it will still get you the same IP.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM

For the most part I am network illiterate and I was able to get a new IP address from my cable company last year when i lived in a house with roomates and a coupel of us played poker and jsut didn't want to risk the site closing our account for some reason since you supposedly can only have 1 computer on per IP address.

What i had to do what subscribe to an additional IP address, witch was $3 a month. Get a switch hub thing and plug that in after the modem. Then from there I put one cat5 to the routher to the rest of the guys in the house and one cat5 directly to my computer. The people at my cable company walked me throught he IP release and renew type of stuff that everyone else is talking about. It was relatively simple.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM

This is correct for most part. release and renewing ip address one after another will likely get you the same ip back.

You may get a new ip however, if you release and wait a while (say a day or two), you may get a different address back.

If you have a router, you will have to look at your router manual to see how you can release and renew your ip cause simply typing ipconfig /release from your computer will not do it since you are releasing the ip that your router assigned you.

SamJack
Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Where would you find information on accessing the router and release/renewing the router IP?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:50 PM

That would depend on the router. Go to the website for your router brand and download the manual...

SamJack
Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 AM

I have a linksys router, but actually just one computer now. Despite that the cable modem goes through it and then into my computer.