Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I tell my buddy??
no 39 32.50%
yes 81 67.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

[ QUOTE ]
Stunning. Some of the poll results are insanely stupid. X-COM losing to SimCity 2000, Secret of Monkey Island losing to TIE Fighter...

DOOM losing to Super Mario Kart??? Are you kidding? DOOM Invented a whole genre, and not just any genre, the most popular PC genre by a wide margin...

Dune 2 losing to Megaman 2? WTF? Dune 2 invented another genre...whereas Megaman 2, um, sucks.

And Super Mario RPG actually got some votes against FFVI.

Ultima Underworld losing to Mike Tyson's PunchOut...?? I'm speechless.

Clearly a bunch of idiots voted in this poll, people who haven't played both games.

[/ QUOTE ]

doom didnt invent [censored]. get your facts straight. however, I believe that Mario Kart might have been the first kart game (certainly the first popular console one).
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 AM

tecmo super bowl is like top 5 game of all time. where is madden 94? I think its the best pre-2000 madden.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just to see X-Com losing to Sim City 2000 makes this a crime against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. X-Com is such a great game.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 AM

I voted for TIE Fighter. I agree that Monkey Island was a classic, but I'm not as much of an adventure gamer. TIE Fighter was an awesome game, though. Probably my #3 all time PC game, behind Half-Life at #2 and X-Com at #1. I think that Doom vs. Mario Kart is not a clear match, either. Doom wasn't the inventor of the genre (it's already been nitted that the honor belongs to Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the reason why it exploded. Mario Kart, though, is one of the best games ever to play against your friends while sitting around on the couch. They're two different niches at which each one excelled.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 AM

SMB3 shouldn't be destroying Super Metroid like this. Super Metroid is the best action/adventure SNES game, and the voting goes to show that is a popularity contest.

MK isn't even close to Tetris.

Also, if you like SMB3, you gotta see the 11minute video clip. Freakin Amazing, beating that game in 11 minutes. Sorry no link, but should be able to google or limewire or torrent or whudeva.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
doom didnt invent [censored]. get your facts straight. however, I believe that Mario Kart might have been the first kart game (certainly the first popular console one).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for TIE Fighter. I agree that Monkey Island was a classic, but I'm not as much of an adventure gamer. TIE Fighter was an awesome game, though. Probably my #3 all time PC game, behind Half-Life at #2 and X-Com at #1. I think that Doom vs. Mario Kart is not a clear match, either. Doom wasn't the inventor of the genre (it's already been nitted that the honor belongs to Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the reason why it exploded. Mario Kart, though, is one of the best games ever to play against your friends while sitting around on the couch. They're two different niches at which each one excelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well if you want to be pedantic about which game invented the FPS genre, it wasn't Wolf 3D either. It was Catacomb 3D...oh wait, that wasn't the first either, it was Hovertank 3D, etc etc.

Fact remains that DOOM's advances and gameplay brought on a new genre. Wolf didn't spawn any clones, but DOOM did.

If you want to argue the semantics of "invented", fine, but you can't deny that DOOM had an enormous impact...much greater than Super Mario Kart.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 AM

1, How could Final Fantasy VI possibly have lost against anything except Tetris?

2, Monkey Island vs. Tie Fighter is the closest matchup this time around, I think.

3, I can't believe doom is losing. do you guys remember how incredible this game seemed when it first came out?!\

4, i am shocked that MK is actually giving Tetris a run for its money...i mean...come on....Tetris is indisputably the greatest game EVER made....MK is a reasonably fun fighting game...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just to see X-Com losing to Sim City 2000 makes this a crime against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. X-Com is such a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

And SimCity 2000 sucked. So boring. I always put it in the MYST category of games old people bought just to feel like they were using their $2000 computers.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Up down up down left right left right b a b a select start

[/ QUOTE ]

up up down down

[/ QUOTE ]

just cos we use cheats,
doesn't mean we're not smart
Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well if you want to be pedantic about which game invented the FPS genre, it wasn't Wolf 3D either. It was Catacomb 3D...oh wait, that wasn't the first either, it was Hovertank 3D, etc etc.

Fact remains that DOOM's advances and gameplay brought on a new genre. Wolf didn't spawn any clones, but DOOM did.

If you want to argue the semantics of "invented", fine, but you can't deny that DOOM had an enormous impact...much greater than Super Mario Kart.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it was dick to get semantic on you, sorry. I just cant believe everyone is going so apeshit on Doom, which in retrospect I think was less polished than kart. However, this is because doom II was the first I played, so Im biased.

I have to say though, that if it was DII against Kart, I would definitely go Doom 2.