Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM

Default A question of bluffing in a nut-peddlers game

So this whole "scenario" and questions with it deal with when there are only 3-4 people to the flop (stacks ~100bb) and you have position. You flop a nice but not terribly strong draw (FD: non-nut or a double gut). Flops im thinking about are either J 9 6 (2 suite) or A 7 2 (2 same suite). Someone raises from EP (sb or bb) and its folded to u. i was wondering if people consider bluff outs as outs included to winning the pot. I dont know if this really makes much sense, if not just ignore, but I was just wondering, especially wit the hand like J96, if they consider the flush outs or something like that as bluff outs or if this just depends on ur reads on ur opponents. Im out of it, but I hope this scenario and question makes sense. i just was wondering how high people's bluff % are and if they bluff more than what is "suggested"?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: A question of bluffing in a nut-peddlers game

Against a known rock/nut peddler you can often call with weakish draws and then bet them off a hand when a different draw hits. The keys here are you should be in position and also need to know your opponent.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a known rock/nut peddler you can often call with weakish draws and then bet them off a hand when a different draw hits. The keys here are you should be in position and also need to know your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. when you are sure the nut peddler has a set and you are heads up, you can make every straight or flush card an out. you just have to remember to play it the exact same way as if you really have it. and you have to make sure he is true nutpeddler(ie he won't be calling you down with nonnut straights and flushes)
for example, if the board is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you are sure he has JJ and then another heart falls, there is very good chance he has a J high flush. with a J its not too bad, but with Q or K high it may be tough for him to toss it to nonpot bets
Old 12-03-2005, 01:47 AM

It is obvious that the best people to bluff are tight players and worst ones are calling stations. But there is a key factor in this in your topic heading. You called it a "nutpeddlar's game". That is, a very tight table.

The first problem is that you are most likely making a mistake in game selection and should not even be sitting on such a table with most likely a very small average pot. The presence of just 1 or 2 LAGs or total calling stations could change this though.

The second problem is that a certain percentage of your bluffs will in fact get called. But you shouldn't really mind that because that helps you get action when you do actually make a hand. But again the problem is that such players, nutpeddlars, are not the ones who will likely be fooled by such bluffs and pay you off, unless you make an unlikely backdoor hand.

So even though these are the types of players you should be looking to bluff, this is not usually the type of game in which to do so or you could well become the live one at that table.