Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 88 in the BB against 2 opponents

Both Villians are something like 29/3/1

What's your plan for the river if it wasn't an 8? If you do something different on the turn, what do you do on the river?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 10-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 88 in the BB against 2 opponents

I bet again on anything below a J that isn't a spade, probably check/call a spade below J, and C/F a Q,K,A of spades.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Assuming a blank falls on the river, I think I'm checking the river hoping to have him bet a UI AK/AQ/KQ. I doubt he's calling a river bet with any of these hands and I may be able to squeak another bet out of him. He may bet 99/TT as well, but I'm under the assumption he'd call a river bet with these hands and therefore I'm losing the same betting or check/calling.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM

I'm starting to question the flop bet too. I don't think I like the way I played this hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to question the flop bet too. I don't think I like the way I played this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely nothing wrong with the flop bet. You might take it down there, and it's one of the better flops 88 can hope for.

The only thing I might have done differently is checked the river hoping he might take a stab, if you've seen bet into weakness before.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely nothing wrong with the flop bet. You might take it down there, and it's one of the better flops 88 can hope for.

The only thing I might have done differently is checked the river hoping he might take a stab, if you've seen bet into weakness before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah..pfr will raise a good percent of the time here and I'll have no idea whether I'm ahead or behind.

If it goes Bet, Raise, fold, call. I would probably check call a non ace non king turn. Check call a non ace non king river. If he checks the turn through, I would be a non ace non king river. Hows this sound?
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM

I think you played this hand very well. River I probably check-call to induce a bluff on a non-spade, A, or K (maybe Q) river.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:02 PM

In the case of bet-raise on the flop, sometimes I'll 3 bet it in a spot like this, for 2 reasons:

1. Given his passive nature, if he caps I'll know I'm behind so I can either fold here or c/f the turn and save myself some money.

2. If he just calls with overcards, there's a good chance he'll fold a non-A or K turn because of how much aggression you've shown. This gives him one less card to draw out on you. You may even get him to lay down 9-9 or TT. Alternatively, if he calls there and then folds the river, you've still made an extra SB than the flop bet/call.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand very well. River I probably check-call to induce a bluff on a non-spade, A, or K (maybe Q) river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. This sort of semi-loose passive so common to the Party 2/4 will call you down whether you are ahead or behind, you don't want to give any free cards to overcards or flush draws, and I've check/called bluffs from plenty of missed overcards on the end in this situation.

Plenty of times you will find yourself beat by 99, TT or some random Jack, but you win this enough in that game that your play was +EV IMHO.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely nothing wrong with the flop bet....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah..pfr will raise a good percent of the time here and I'll have no idea whether I'm ahead or behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the UTG raise from a passive who only raises 3% of his hands, and a second opponent still in the hand, I have NOOOO problem laying this 88 down to a flop raise. Even without the second opponent, even if you are ahead on the flop he's not raising without a flush draw + 2 overs so you're favored to lose by showdown anyway.

Against the opponents you have described the flop bet gives you the best value by far in this pot.