Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: I know this may be controversial to some of you...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A related problem I have noticed here is that some just can't let go of AK in level one, even when the actions of the opponents should tell them that AK is probably not the best hand (ie, 6xBB raise and a coldcall before you).

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise to 90 and a call just means 'I am a donk that may or may not have a hand' and 'I am probably a total clown', in that order. You can safely coldcall behind here and pushing in an 800 chip SNG is not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it means "I have AA" and "I have AK". Of course it depends on the players. Some players overbets you should run away from in level 1 and some players overbets you should call/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed we were talking about level 2 with the raise to 90.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Party Poker I'm calling and check folding any flop without an A or K

Pokerstars I'm reraising to isolate and likely betting out to if 1st to act. .I find that the deeper chipstack allows for this creativity and doesn't punish me to bad if I get played back at.

.discuss.

SAM
Old 07-18-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A related problem I have noticed here is that some just can't let go of AK in level one, even when the actions of the opponents should tell them that AK is probably not the best hand (ie, 6xBB raise and a coldcall before you).

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise to 90 and a call just means 'I am a donk that may or may not have a hand' and 'I am probably a total clown', in that order. You can safely coldcall behind here and pushing in an 800 chip SNG is not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it means "I have AA" and "I have AK". Of course it depends on the players. Some players overbets you should run away from in level 1 and some players overbets you should call/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed we were talking about level 2 with the raise to 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 05:20 PM

btw my original post was basically stupid because it was too general. However I notice a huge difference in my play with AK compared to people on this forum.

I don't even get remotely happy when I get dealt AK preflop early on, because it's really just not that great a hand. I usually don't play it aggressively at all if there is any aggression before me. Sometimes I fold it to a single raise (although rarely).

Oh this reminds me of the other thing I wanted to post....basically that people should try to save their aggression or fancy moves for times that no one has entered the pot as opposed to times that there are limpers/raisers. I almost never do anything "exotic", once there is action before me. However when there has been no action from anyone, this is almost always your best chance to steal.

Too many posts of people doing weird crap with substandard hands once someone has raised or there are 2-3 limpers or whatever. Just seems so unneccessary to me. Honestly I believe you can win at the highest level of sit and gos without ever doing anything too fancy.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM

Call me crazy, but I usually just limp with AK in the early levels mainly because if i raise, some donk will push with 66 and I will lose. I play AK much like 33...if i hit my hand, i will hopefully double up. If I miss, i am done with it.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:22 PM

This is a good play if you are playing 6 max NL games.

However good NL ring play is very often poor tournament play
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy, but I usually just limp with AK in the early levels mainly because if i raise, some donk will push with 66 and I will lose. I play AK much like 33...if i hit my hand, i will hopefully double up. If I miss, i am done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is strong enough to raise with in level 1-2. Also you increase your chances of picking up the pot on the flop with at least 132.4%.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

btw everything is situational, Im basically talking about when the stacks are deep. In your situation where you say there is a raise to 90 and a call for 90, I would usually move allin if I had 800 chips, because the stacks aren't deep enough.

However if it's a raise to 45 and a call for 45, I would just flat call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a huge qualification. So you're saying PP it's fine to push AK in this situation but pokerstars no?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 PM

i like this play - part of your effectiveness in playing AK at the early levels is keeping the pot small to leave you flexibility after the flop.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Too many posts of people doing weird crap with substandard hands once someone has raised or there are 2-3 limpers or whatever. Just seems so unneccessary to me. Honestly I believe you can win at the highest level of sit and gos without ever doing anything too fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I whole-heartedly agree with this. HOHE says that opening pots or pre-flop in general is really the only spot for 'exotic' moves - once the flop comes there is generally a right and a wrong way to play your hand.

generally speaking, of course.