Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 AM

Default KK Overpair...Good Laydown...Or did I fold the best hand?

$100 NL on Party
Hero is on the button w K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($95.83)
Villian is UTG ($119.80)

Villian is 28/11/1.8 after only about 50 or so hands. It seemed like he was raising pf more than 11% of the time...he raised QTo from EP, so his raising stds were pretty low. He seemed to me like your typical LAG...although he wasn't as bad as some. I haven't seen him try to trap, or do anything tricky yet.

Villian limps from UTG, 5 folds to Hero, who makes it $5 to go, blinds fold, villian calls.
Flop ($11.50) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian checks, Hero bets out $5. Villian checkraises to $10, Hero calls.
At this point I'm trying to figure out if he could have, and if he somehow could have hit this flop. If he had raised pf, this would be a great flop obviously, but since he limped I put him on a small pair, or maybe small/med suited connectors. He was raising everything else, from any position, even UTG. I think he probably was trying to checkraise me off of two big overcards, thinking that his small pair was still good.
Turn ($31.50) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villian checks, Hero checks behind.
I didn't want to get trapped here...in the event that he did flop a monster. I also wanted to give him the opportunity to bluff the river.
River ($31.50) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian bets $30.00, Hero folds.
Looking back at this, it looks more like a scared bet/bluff, than a value bet. Some donks, pissed that they couldn't checkraise the turn, put too big a value bet in on the river, trying to make up for the lost cash. I'm not sure which type of bet it was, and I wish I had this one back to make the call. I pride myself on being able to get off of AA and KK...but in this case, I'm not so sure.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: KK Overpair...Good Laydown...Or did I fold the best hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop ($11.50) 9 9 4
Villian checks, Hero bets out $5

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. Why such a small bet?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: KK Overpair...Good Laydown...Or did I fold the best hand?

The (continuation sized) bet was designed to try to figure out what he had in the event that he was going to call or raise. Why bet out the pot here, when he will fold anything that he's not way ahead of? There are no draws that I have to protect myself from, so a pot-size bet here is -EV in my opinion.